Skyline osborn or Fender MIA jazz deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeluch, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I looking to buy a new jazz and was cosidering the skyline or MIA jazz deluxe. Does anyone have any feedback as to what they think is the better bass? Thanks for the help.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You could buy a Fender and spend money modifying it (Assuming it needed that to work for you.) OR you could buy the Lakland which comes with Fralin P/ups and oughta be ready to go with no tweaking. The Fender does come with a graphite reinforced neck and onboard preamp which the Lakland does not. Are you sure you need the active electronics? If not, try the Lakland and you could always add an Aguilar or whatever preamp later.

I've played both the Lakland Skyline JO and Fender basses and both are quite nice. Gotta say I like the neck profile on the Lakland better and I thought the construction quality was as good as if not better than the Fender. I don't do active basses so the Lakland would be my choice hands-down. Only you can decide. Play both and see what you think.
  4. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Osbourn!! I played one just last week, and I'm seriously considering selling my Jazz for the Osbourn. Amazing bass! Great feel, awesome tone. Just like a Jazz, only better!
  5. Both are great basses. I personally love the Deluxe for the great active preamp. If you want passive, go Osborn. If you'd like the active pre, go Fender. You can't go wrong either way.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yeap, the major differences are
    active vs passive
    34 ( fender ) vs 35 ( lakland) inch scales
    US vs Korea ( if you care about that sort of thing )

i read somewhere that all Skyline fivers DID have graphite reinforcement.
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Didn't realize he was asking about a 5 string.
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

With the Osborn, you can add a J-retro preamp, which adds a really nice tone option similar to the Fender, but it will set you back $325 or so. You can then play the bass in either mode (passive or active) with the flick of the wrist. I went ahead and ordered one on my DJ5; the J-retro tone is so great that was worth it to me. You can also get it installed later.

The graphite truss rod is standard on all Lakie 5ers, but is not available on the 4-bangers.

The MIA Fenders are pretty sweet; much more consistent than the MIM versions, and worth the extra $$$ as a result, but once I'd played a Lakland, I knew what I wanted. I went with the DJ, but it was difficult to give up those sweet Fralin pickups, and I nearly got the Osborn instead.

Bottom line, I think you'll be thrilled with either the Fender or the Osborn.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    maybe he isn't! i have 5 string mind! :)
  10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I considered this exact same switch about a month ago. I played several laklands, but I couldn't find one that played as well as my fender, or had comparable construction quality. But that is by no means true of all Fender vs. Lakland comparisons. The only way you can really make a good decision it to compare them on a bass by bass basis.
  11. Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    The real answer is Sadowsky. Kidding...well kind of. Personally, I've been really impressed with Lakland Skylines. A great bang for your buck when you consider all the features. However I don't think there is a "right" answer to this one. Go with your instinct.
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    These are the two i've been thinking of also. Tough decision,
    especially when you can't play either one. Sort of have to
    order on theory and hope for the best. With the preamp
    option, the Lakland (JO or DJ) 5'ers end up being more
    expensive, but i'm not sure which is the better 5 string.
  13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Bartman! Did you take possession of your Lakland DJ5 yet? Gary Roberts
  14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    First off make this a poll...

Second off... Lakland... Is like if Fender did it "Right".
  15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, as verified by Dan Lakin recently. Oddly enough, even he didn't know it until recently apparently. And yes, it's ONLY the fivers.
  16. I played a skyline jazz at bass central in orlando last month. The floor model I played felt and played sort of cheap to my hands. Looked great though. Dig the bridge.

Sounded fine, just nothing that made me say "that's THE sound." I was really kind of let down in general that day at Bass Central, reading so much about high end gear and then seeing it all in one room. But when I actually played the stuff, I knew what I liked and did not like.

But I digress, the Skyline I played was only about $700-ish and may have just come off the line in Korea on a bad day. So don't put too much weight in my impression. ( I actually will be in Korea this month, along with Vietnam and Hong Kong.)

But to answer the question, my vote goes to the MIA Jazz.
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own a Fender MIA Deluxe (shameless plug consighnment:Low Down Sound 699 !!!) and I think there a great bass, but as you can see from my plug resale is poor. I'd look used, both of them (the JO and the DLX) have good pickups but could use a pre amp up grade. Instead of paying 1000-1400 new and throwing 3-400 into a pre (that gets you into used Metro territory, and while both are good basses neither one is a Metro!) As far as the differences between the two the Am. DLX, has more of a 70's vibe and the JO more 60's. If you mostly slap and play a more modern style I'd lean to the Fender, If your into old school R & B or play flatwounds I'd probably buy the JO. But both of them are very excellent and versitile basses with a pre upgrade (J-reto or Sadowsky reccomended)
  18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want a 4 string try a used Hamer USA CruiseBass. Best $500 bass EVER!!!
  19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Since the American Deluxe Jazz is active (without a passive mode) and the Lakland is passive, that's really the main issue because both should be built extremely well. If you prefer passive, the American Series Jazz is another option, and is the Lakland Osborn Skyline's more direct competition.

Those were the two Jazz types I considered a couple of years ago, and the Fender won. I preferred the feel of the neck, which has graphite reinforcement. Plus it came with a hardshell case, and has the S-1 switch for more sonic options.

That said, I thought the Lindy Fralin pickups in the Osborn sounded slightly better than the Fenders, with a little more clarity on top and meat on the bottom. Not a huge difference, but noticeable and worthwhile. You could always install Fralins in a Fender if you wanted that sound.

I will say I've owned a Fender American Deluxe Precision, and while I wasn't crazy about the active electronics, the construction was fantastic and playablity incredible with a good setup. I would expect the same of an American Deluxe Jazz.

You really can't go wrong either way.
  20. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    I was thinking about trading my sr5 for a elric gold 4 standard+$100,do you think thats a good deal?