Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline preamp question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I use my 55-01 skyline with the volume knob pulled out in passive mode pretty much all the time. Is this passive mode exactly the same as rewiring the bass as if there was no preamp at all? In other words, if I wired my bass to go right from the pickups to the jack (which I've heard stories of people doing with positive results), would it change at all or would it be exactly the same as how I play it now?

2. With the volume knob pulled up, the 55-01 is not in "passive" mode, but just "EQ bypass" mode--the signal is still going through the preamp, but the tone controls don't have any effet. You will also get no sound if the battery is dead, as I know from painful personal experience. So no, that's not like wiring the pickups straight to the output jack.

Mike

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    So would I be able to rewire my bass with no preamp at all? Would it sound much different from EQ bypass mode and would the pickups even work without the battery?

4. 1) Yes, you should be able to rewire the bass with no preamp at all
    2) I assume the sound would be somewhat similar to the EQ bypass, but I've never tried it. The output might not be as hot.
    3) The pickups themselves are passive, so they don't need a battery.

Mike

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, so if the battery is being used in both active and bypass mode, do they both drain the battery equally? What's the advantage I'm getting by using the bypass mode? I thought it wasn't draining my battery, but I guess that's not true.

6. Yes, EQ bypass mode is draining the battery, and still has to have a good battery to work. I don't know what the advantage is, except perhaps a different sound. If you get the 55-02 or the 55-01 with the upgraded US Bart preamp, you get an actual active/passive switch.

Mike