Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Rattlin' My Spineline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jan 8, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Gard boxed it up and my Lakland Skyline 55-02 arrived on my porch today (no more pitching tent when I see a UPS truck for a while).

One day is no basis for a review. I'll do that in TB's formal "Review" section once I really get to know this sucka.

But Gard wasn't jiving - this thing is serious thumpzilla on the B string!!! YIKES!!! It's like my cabinets each grew another 15" speaker. Even played open, the B is tight as a snare head - no flab or slop physically or tonally.

The fret work is simply flawless ( and part of this work is done in, (gulp!), Korea???). The fret wire is thin and very low profile. The thin, wiiiide, unfinished, maple neck is simply silk and stays flat all the way to the juncture with the body.

The adjustable mids, 250/500/700/850Hz's will take some time to dial in the tone I need. All the guts are Bartoline-made-for-Lakland.

Anywho, if you are thinking about checking one of these out and you like seismic B strings, you owe it to yourself to check one out. I don't know what the 55-01's are like.

2. So, you happy now??!!

(You don't write, you don't call......)

:D

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Rickbass,
    Glad to hear you're happy with the Skyline...I thought you would be! ; ) As I said, these basses are an AMAZING value, and I really don't see how the "rest" will be able to continue to compete. I'll warn you to start saving up right now for the Osbornes that are on their way!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You guys gotta cut this crap out. I'm starting to get a serious case of GAS.

No, it has the Bart setup, it can't sound good, I want the Duncans, and that makes this bargain cost quite a bit more. It's not worth the money or the hassle. These guys are just lying about it anyway.yeah, that's it...mumble mumble mumble...

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    how much?

6. rickbass

Jeff R. and JPJ - thanks very much for your concern for my happiness!!! Jeff Wade, I think you already had GAS chromosones when the doctor slapped y'ass.

To tell you the truth, I won't know for dead sure if it's a keeper until tomorrow. UPS always delivers in my neighborhood late in the day, the neighbors were coming home from work, and I haven't had an opportunity to really see what this sumbitch'll do!!. It's all about sound because it sure isn't any "beauty queen" like the one it replaced. But, I never got a pay check because my someone thought my bass was pretty.

The attention to details where they matter is simply perfection. Take off the cavity cover and you won't see any copper shielding. Plus, it looked like Kim Cho was doing shots of soju on his lunch break before he painted the cavity (little sloppy but nothing shows with cover in place. No big whoop).

I have only been able to run it through my Carvin Cyclops at wimp-volume thus far.

But tomorrow, it's stack time where I could run the SansAmp Driver into the 1000W'er and slave the 600W head with it........

[​IMG]

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D I resemble that remark! :D

Seriously, I was just fine for 3 or 4 months, but these Skylines look too good to be true. And now my wife is getting into bass, and she's got GAS really bad for a Czechtor 5 in natural gloss, and GAS is contagious, ya know!:D

8. rickbass

I hear ya. My decades-old "Orientophobia" in regard to basses protected me for a long time.

Then I saw veteran Laklandaholics talking them up as well as Gard saying he would own one now if he didn't have money committed to a new amp previously.

I'm still trying not to look at the tiny sticker on the back of the headstock - "Crafted in Korea." There are very few aspects I can find so far that suggest "compromise" on the thing. Even the strings aren't cheap.

The warranty covers everything that isn't the owner's or fate's fault for two years and it's transferable.

Your wife sounds like she had to submit to your influence for harmony's and sanity's sake. That's really cool!!! Next Christmas could be like a NAMM show at your house.

9. I figure if we got the Dallas TB's together, we could have quite the selection!

Maybe charge admission?

:D

Jeff

10. Well done, mate.:D :D

Cmon then, pictures please....

John

11. rickbass

That's just it, Rockin'. As I said, it's no "beauty queen" and the case is just a pedestrian SKB-type. It's no big whoop to look at but hearing/playing it is another story. The bass it replaces was all eye-candy quilted maple, gold hardware, koa, 5-pc neck-through, and pretty cherry sunburst stain, blah blah. But, some people find the "natural" organic vibe of this Skyline to be beautiful.

BUT that other bass I got rid of had mediocre electronics/sound, the frets clanked, and the fret job wasn't anywhere near the same league as the Skyline, even though the two basses cost the same.

About all I can say for the Skyline's cosmetics is the maple used for the Lakland's neck is the highest quality I've ever seen and even has some birdseye. I don't know what kind of sandpaper they use but it must be super-fine because the unfinished neck is just butter. I have to remind my self it's wood.
    But it's obvious the Lakland's cost is applied to playability and sound. And that's what goes in the bank.

I guess some sort of black or tortoise pickguard might pick up the cosmetics but I don't use picks (or "plectrums" as you all say) and neither plastic nor Slipknot stickers turn me on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Another convert! Congrats!

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    One minor note...there actually IS a light lacquer finish on the back of the Skyline necks. However, if you can't tell, it probably doesn't do any good for me to tell you this!

14. rickbass

Well, it's like this, Wood;

- My sweetie said we could get away for a Caribbean cruise with the money instead of spending it for another bass.

I told her, "If I don't buy another bass, then the terrorists have won, haven't they?" :D :D

Wait till she sees the custom I've got coming next month :eek:

15. rickbass

JR - If that happens, won't "Bass Palace" have to change its name???..............
    maybe "Bass Stable"???

There's always been some mighty basses in the Lone Star State since the 70's.

16. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I recently checked out a Skyline, natural ash with maple board and USA electronics. I was completely blown away by how well it played, and how good it sounded!! If I had been able to afford it, I would have walked out with it that day.

Nice choice, Rick!!

17. rickbass

Total surprise to me, JPJ! Not that it matters to me. It doesn't have any of the shine or sheen that I'm accustomed to with coated necks. It is very "flat" or "matte" and doesn't reflect light at all. There is absolutely no "drag" when I go up/down the neck very fast, like a full-string slide.

Pretty amazing to me. This neck finish, whatever voodoo it is, plus the flat, thin, depth of the neck throughout its length compensate for the width of the neck.

Not that I'm complaining about the width at all. It just took some getting used to it and gives me all the room I need. Even out of the box, I'm didn't run into any other strings than the ones I want when I do slap and pop on it. Moreover, finally, NO crosstalk on a string-through-body bass with excellent roundwounds!!

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is the one that replaced that troublesome Carvin? The more you describe it the more I feel I need to play one. :D

19. rickbass

You got it Gabe. Carvin couldn't identify the problem and said it had to be something in the wood or fundamental in the basic construction....quite unusual for them, IME. So, they refunded the price.

If the Skylines were available when I bought the Carvin, I would have considered the Carvin for about two minutes and forgotten about it.

Carvins are still a good deal, in my mind. But I really think these Skylines may up the ante for their game. As I understand it, the first production run of Skylines was gone within one month of its formal introduction.
    Sure, "the hype" always gets out of hand but it seems to die quickly with most intros...."I bought one - it must be great!" :rolleyes:
    It doesn't seem like that's the case here. The Skylines and Peavey Cirrus may rewrite the rules.

20. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    congrats on the new bass!

i also want to state for the record that admiral yamamoto never said that.
    it was a line from the movie Tora,Tora,Tora.
    probably written by hollywood writers with... ahem... "orientaphobia" :rolleyes:

here's something i came across on the web:
    peace.