Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline series vs USA series Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Mar 29, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Obviously a subjective question, but has anyone played the regular usa version of a lakland and the skyline version and can tell me what the precieved difference and tone and quality is?

Thanks,
    RS

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a 4-94 and a 55-94 and have played two 55-01 Skylines. The woodwork on the Skylines is very good. Much better, in fact, than I would have expected on basses in that price range. The necks are beautifully carved and the basses play very well.

The electronics are inferior to the USA Bartolini PUs and preamps in my basses. They don't sound bad just not as good as the USA made basses.

The Skyline 55-02 should sound more like the USA made basses than the 55-01 because it has the same electronics as the 55-94.

Big difference in retail and a big difference in tone. Still, the Lakland Skyline is a great bass for the price. Personally I do think they would look better with elephant ear tuners than the Gotoh style mini tuners that were on the basses I played.

Chuck