1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Skyline vs American Professional

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hardtop, Aug 10, 2018.

1. So I think I've decided I need a plain old 4 string P bass (again?) and I think Im buying new. I am wondering what you guys think about the Lakland Skyline 44-64 vs the Fender American Professional Series, as far a quality. (FWIW, pickups aren't a factor as I have an endorsement and I could easily (probably will) replace them).

So, I haven't owned a US made Fender in a minute. The last one was probably a mid 90's MIA Precision. It was a nice instrument, but I needed an amp rig so I traded it. I also owned a similar era USA made Jazz. It too was nice, and notably better than many less expensive instruments I owned prior. I kind of dislike the fender bridges and really thought my old P was a better bass after i replaced it with a BA bridge.

I currently own a Lakland Skyline 5 string. It was upgraded with a bone nut and I installed US made tuners. I think it's one of the best instruments I've played. Just plays like a dream and I love the neck profile despite being 5 string width. I like the big stout oval bridge a lot.

So my experience is that the skyline instruments are great, but i just don't know if the current generation of US Made Fender instruments is worth the extra 400 bucks? What do you guys think?

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Really a case where I'd advise you to try them both out and see for yourself. That said, my experience with Skyline instruments has been extremely positive. While I haven't priced a USA p-bass in a while, if the difference is now $400 I'd have a hard time justifying that.

If it were me, I know that used P-basses abound, and I'd look at used Skyline, G&L, Fender and others. Heck, you might even find a beat-up USA Lakland for not much more than a new Fender. If going new and retail though I'd go with a Skyline.

One last thing, if you have Fender money and aren't married to a painted finish (though he will do them for an upcharge) why not have someone like LowDownBass build you one to your preferred specs...
    Price list - Options
    See the Hybrid bass pricing for approximately what he charges for Fender style instruments. He could build you a smoking p-bass for around the price of a Fender.

hardtop likes this.