Skyline vs GL Tribute vs KSD vs ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i2k, Dec 8, 2003.

1. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm in search of a new bass which sounds more "traditional". Mostly, I'm playing rock materials (Rush, Iron Maiden, etc) and funk. So I need something that can sound like P and J.
    I'm looking for 4 stringer, but 5 is OK as long as the price is right. Price : not more than 800 US$.
    What I dream of is an G&L Tribute 2000, but on the city where I live I cannot find anything other than cheap Ibanez and Yamaha. I plan to order from one dealer I trust, so I won't be able to test. The dealer currently has following basses which met my criteria:
    Skyline 55-01, Ken Smith Design (KSD) v70j. They also have 1 "strange" brand: ESP Edward (built by ESP in Japan) this bass has very interesting specs: '75 J Bass looks and construction with ash body & all maple neck, Badass II bridge, J neck and MM bridge pickup from Seymour Duncan (check:
    Which of those basses are in similar / better quality & value than the G&L, in terms of tone & construction ? If none is better than the G&L, I will ask the dealer to order the G&L although I have to wait for at least 1 month.
    Ooops, sorry for the long message....& thanks
  2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I would take the Lakland over the G&L
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So would I, although the G&L is killer for the price.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah same here. you can find a used realG&L for around $800 if you look hard enough... i have yet to play a tribute but owned a skyline and it was very nice for the price. personally, i don't care for ESP (blah sounding) or the KSD's (too heavy and with some cosmetic flaws)... just my opinion. ;)
  5. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    That will be valid if I live in US, but I live in Indonesia where very difficult to find new or used good basses. I won't try ebay where nobody trust Indonesian..:-(
    Unfortunately, the Lak 55-01 (900 $)is above my budget. The KSD 5 stringer is 700 $ and the Japanese ESP is 730 $, but it has Seymour Duncan and Badass on it, plus Japanese quality which normally better than Korean.
  6. All the tributes I have tried have been of immaculate construction. The electronics are all the same as the American G&Ls, so you get a very similar tone. Pretty much the only thing that is different is the build quality isn't as good. Hardware, tuning pegs etc. However, they are not bad. They are actually fairly good quality, esspecially for the price, and I would certainly rate this as a better lower price choice then other manufactuers put out.
  7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have been impressed with the tributes as well & played an L-2000 over the weekend. I would save the $$ and go with a Tribute. Those SB-2s were still on salefor $299 at MusiciansFiend recently. That is a steal!