1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Skyline vs Stringray ! DING DING DING

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunneyBoy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. i am on the look out for a fretless j style bass . i already have a lakland 55-94 and love it so i thought of going for a skyline joe osborne 4 or 5 fretless( i would like the us series but hey thats the way things are)

the tough question is should i sell my stingray 5 to facilitate this gas ! would you place the skyline series basses in the ring with a stringray or would it be like leading lambs to the slaughter!

i wanna hear that MMMMMWAH though !

tough one!

2. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    don't sell your sting ray, you will miss it. sting rays are such good instruments that should be kept for a lifetime. wait a bit and save some money to afford the lakland. also depends one the kind of music you play. do you relly need a fretless or is just because you would like to have one?

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago

4. Don't sell the Ray, man. You'll end up regretting it.

5. hahaha.. I thought this was a car thread..

corvette stingray
    stingray_corvette.

vs.

Nissan Skyline
    [​IMG]

but.. keep the musicman.. it's much better.. or at least I feel so..

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Need i say anything? :)

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Boy, tough call...;)

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Bongo. TKO.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Laklands with the Bartolini pickups won't give you the same zing that a Stingray 5 will. The ones with the Lakland pickups will get closer to that tone.

The other issue is whether or not you like the feel of your 55-94. If you like the chunkier neck and 34" scale of the Stingray, then keep it. Otherwise, a Skyline Osborne will be a different sound and feel. The quality is on par with the MM.

10. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Sting Rays are a dime a dozen, sell it! You can always buy a virtually new one used very cheap!

Just a contrary view from the Fender guy...;-)

11. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i was almost in the same situation.. and i've done a gig with my MM and this Gig convince me that i'll miss so much de MM if i sell it.. so i'm waiting for my Dj5 to come now... June!! June!!

good luck
    PO

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Remember, SunneyBoy is in South Africa, and an American made bass may well be very expensive and fairly hard to get there. I would definitely hold onto the Stingray and save for the Skyline.