Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline vs U.S. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Can someone explain me the exact difference between two? is this a kind of mexican vs american for the fender bass kind of things? is the US available for the other country ( especialy canada...)

Thanks guys.... and yess do you know if the fender J-pick guard fit with the Darryll Jones Lakland?
    Thanks again

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    skyline are imports, made in korea i think. us ones are made in us.

3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    i dont think the pickguards are interchangeable. also, IMO, the Skyline 55-01,55-02,44-01 and 44-02 are inferior to American made. But the skylines with artist's names (Glaub etc) are super fine instruments. With those models, only buy the us ones if you want a custom order.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The skylines are great instruments as well thouggh.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't think the Fender pickguards will fit. Mainly because the trussrod is accessed from the neck joint, not the head stock or by removing the neck.

As far as the differences between a Skyline and a US, do a search and you'll find.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    As mentioned above, yes, the Skylines are imports from Korea but don't let that sway you. Imports are getting better all the time and the Skylines are definitely in the top 3 quality-wise. The basses are made in Korea sans pu's/elex, strung up with some cheap strings to keep tension on the neck and shipped to the US. When they arrive they are inspected and any bad apples are sent back. Then they cut off the strings, put on new strings, and install the pu's and electronics. After that they receive a final setup. So all the electronics and pu's are the same as the US models (except for the cheapest model, the Skyline 44-01).

Most people say they can't tell the difference between the Skylines and US models. I am extremely satisfied with my Skyline Bob Glaub. :)

7. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Thakns a lot guys for the good infos!

what do you recommend me for a Daryll Jones 5.. i heard that the passive tone is awesome.. maybe i'll dont need the preamp in it.. i'll already have a kind of "hi-fi" sound with my Stingray 5 with Piezo p'ups.. what do you think?
    what are the things that i should not forget when i'll order it?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No it will not, but there's someone on ebay who makes lakland pickguards. Search for lakland pickguard and you'll find them. If they don't have specifically what you want for auction, contact them and they'll make it for you.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm generally an active bass guy, but I've been very very happy with my passive DJ5

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The Darryl Jones shape is completely different to Fenders.
    Jeannies pickguards who sell through Ebay has a selection of Darryl pickguards.
    Personally, I prefer the skyline 5502 to the US 5594...because I like the feel of the neck fingerboard edges better.
    Murphy

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I just got a Skyline Hollowbody, and I think it's top notch!
    The fit and finish are awesome...neck sits tight in the pocket, the paint on the body is purrrrfect, fret finish and overall setup is very nice.

12. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Played a Skyline Bob Glaub today. Very fine instrument. I'd love to try a US version, but the Skyline really is NICE.

GAS is a raging bad...

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On the skyline I have, you could nit and pick a few construction details ... especially around the nut, but it "has it where it counts". Perfect playability and tone, CNC-perfect fit on the neck pocket, and highly functional hardware.

If they start offering alder bodies, my Lakland collection would grow very quickly.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I played a few of them at the local store yesterday--a 55-01, a 44-01, a 44-02, and a Daryll Jones 4.

They were all set up about the same (local store has a new "bass guy", and he does all the setups on new and used basses that come in, and does a very good job at it). I couldn't believe that there are instruments in the price ranges that these are in that play and sound as good as these do. The DJ4 felt and sounded great, in fact, I liked it better than the US Fender Jazz I tried after it. The 55 and 44's that I played were very nice as well. The more aggressive (to my ears, anyway) tones that the 01 series had kicked serious butt, even though the 02 seemed to have a wider range of tones. I could seriously see myself picking up a 5 string version of either one for a "workhorse" bass.

15. Out of curiosity, where are you checking out Laklands in NoDak (or NW MN)...Margurite's in Moorhead?

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, they are a dealer. They have been selling a lot of these basses, and are having a tough time keeping the 55-01's in stock.

Off topic, but they are also becoming a Pedulla dealer now as well. I was told they have 5 on the way, including a Pentabuzz and a Thunderbass 5. :cool: I guess it helps having an actual bass player in charge of the bass section of the store. ;)

17. I get up to Fargo now and again, that's why I asked. I may be forced to spend more time there! ;)

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Well, if you are ever going to be up here, send me a PM, I live right in Fargo.

19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had a few 55-02's and now own two 55-94's and a Skyline Joe Osborn. The Skylines are the shiznit when it comes to an import bass for all of the reasons above. Lakland really nailed the quality/cost issue on imports with the Skyline series. I work in a shop where we sell most name brand basses and I am always showing folks the Skyline basses and they can see for themselves that the quality and consistancy is on par or better than the US Fender stuff. I also think that a Skyline DJ or JO is usually a much better bass than a US Made Fender.

As for the diference between the 55-02's and the 55-94's, I'll say t5hat there is not that much difference. I think the biggest differences would be the neckk profile and wood on the US models is a tad bit better. The maple caps on the necks of the US mods tend to have some fantastic birdseye in them. The other thing is the weight. Skyline 55-02's are on a bit heavier than the 55-94's which are the lightest basses I have ever seen (held).

I think the 55-02's and the 55-94's are both excellent instruments for working pros. The 55-01's are great playing basses but have the same Barts as the $500 Ibanez basses, which still sound good but not on par with the 02's and 94's.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The Skyline are very good basses.
    I owned two, a Glaub and Joe Osborn.
    Sold then both to get a USA Glaub, fretless, with Darkstar pickup.