Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skylines > 55-02 deLuxe vs Joe Osborn 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Oct 29, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I read the posts I found with the search option, but couldn't get an answer.

If you had to choose from my point of view, what would be reasonable? I got a quite decent deal to trade the Warwick Streamer Bass for a 55-02 deLuxe at a shop nearby. (It has the quilted sunburst top)

I would like to compare the Joe Osborn fivestring with this 55-02 deLuxe. I'm looking for a great jazztone, but versatile enough to have major kick-ass in some rock songs.

Some advice please ..... I found the neck not really smooth, is it a common thing of Skylines or do different strings help out a lot...?

(Do you people get ever tired of members, having new topics about buying basses all the time....well... guess not. Otherwise you would be tired of yourselves ....*laughs*)

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    When I ab'd these basses I preferred the JO hands down...

I now have a JO Ltd Edition Dudepit 4 string (still hankering after a 5 though!). It has the John East preamp in it (J-retro), and it is fan-bloody-tastic!

Didn't ever notice the rough neck thing you speak of though :eyebrow:

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    So you agree that the versatile electronics (and higher costs) do not compensate the jazztone the Osborn has? Unfortunately I haven't been able to try it.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I like both.
    The nickle wound strings will feel smoother to your fingers.
    I can get a wicked jazz bass Marcus Miller sound out of my 5502 on single coil bridge mode with both pickups blended evenly.
    The jo5 is a bit more vintage sounding...simpler controls and the 60 cycle noise with either pickup.
    If you are offered a great deal, you can't go wrong with the 5502.
    Get a jo5 later.
    Which do you like the look of better?
    Nice thing about the 5502 is you can change the sound on the fly, nice bart preamp!
    But j05 has simplicity...
    Hope this helps you
    Cheers
    Murphy

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I was also torn as to which way to go 5502 0r the JO5 - I did prefer the vintage sound sound of the JO5 - I am now looking to play a DJ5 , I was told it would be closer to the Marcus Miller tone . I may add a sadowsky outboard preamp later .

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I don't think the DJ5's will be available until sometime in December. I'd like to check them out as well.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    GASing for a DJ5. Yes. Yes, indeed. Bring that sh*t home to Skyline and from thence unto Daddy.

8. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I heard December also but thats not to far off and I am not in any rush. Besides the JO & DJ 5s I wanted to look into the Ken Smith ( KSD line ) also - I've heard good things about these basses and they are not high priced - sort of a Ken Smith Skyline

9. I a/b'd a JO5 and 55-02 at BC back in September, along with a 55-94. Also tried out a DJ4 and an HB (plus some other stuff). Long story short - I took home the Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (yeah, that helps you alot!). :meh:

My 2nd choice would have been the JO5. It had a maple fretboard, and the neck was identifical to the 55-02. After playing the 55-02, I picked up a 55-94. Except for the birdeye fingerboard and tealburst finish, it felt very similar to the 55-02 (not sure about weight - playing everything sitting down). I wasn't really leaning that way, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time comparing 55-94 and 55-02 differences, but they felt and sounded really close. Then went back to the JO5 again, and it felt "right to me."

The 55-02 had roundwounds, barts, and a nice bart preamp. I could get alot of different sounds out of it. The JO5 has flats, Fralins, and was passive. Yes, it had that 60 Hz hum thing when the volume controls were not set the same. That bugs me, but then again, I tend to like both pickups at the same volume. I also use a BDDI, so I can mess with the sound some here too. I would like to try out a JO5 with a J-Retro sometime. If you like active electronics, that could be an option for you.

Everyone's different. Personally, I like the vibe and looks of a J. I'm into that retro thing, especially if it has a little twist. And a JO5 has it for me (5 string, 22 frets, sings and looks like a J, but it has 5 strings). A Skyline JO5 is a great 5-J! I liked the maple/LPB combination. But I just saw a maple/sunburst with a tort-guard in the for-sale section of this site, and almost wet myself. A JO5 is definitely on my radar as a possible shift to a nicer 5 (currently have a BTB405 - like it, my first 5, but definitely lacking in some quality areas).

I would like to A/B a DJ5 against a JO5 sometime. Looks like they might not appear until December according to information in the DudePit site. Won't probably get another bass until second-half of next year, so not sure what might be available then. We'll see...maybe used?...

Agree with Bigwan - did not get that rough neck feel. Not sure what you're used to with a Streamer (haven't played one). Played a MM Sterling in there too (gun oil finish), and I didn't feel much difference between it and a Skyline.

So back to the Hollowbody. In the end, I just couldn't put this down. It was so different, and so cool. I finally had to ask myself "Self - if you left this store and left one of these terrific basses behind, which one would you most regret not getting?" The HB - hands down. Five is new to me, and I'm still a believer in the power of 4. I've played a 5 for almost a year straight, and I've adapted scales, fingerings, positions, etc. to make use of the B. I feel competant playing one. But there is just that "yeah" and "home again" feeling with a 4 that I just don't have with a 5. Plus, I was not yet ready to trade-up my BTB.

The HB is now challenging everything I believed as "truth" in my little bass world. Passive vs. active. Hollow vs. solid. Flats vs. rounds. And 4 vs. 5. And that's a good thing - keeps me from forming concrete opinions. I think it, and a JO5, would almost completely satisfy my needs.

Good luck on your selection. Hope some of this helps you out.

10. if you want a Jazz bass then get the JO, if you want a bass with more mordern sounding pickups and a preamp the get the 55-02.