Skylines: Old Korean same as Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Hi,

Aside from PLEKing, is the build quality the same in Indonesia as it was in Korea? What I am saying is, if I got a Korean DJ and PLEKed it, would it be the same as a Indonesian that was PLEKed?

Thanks,

-Roy

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have not seen a DJ made in Indonesia yet but from the laklands that I have seen that are from Indonesia and Pleked, I would not at all be surprised if the quality was just as great.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've just received a new shipment of the Indonesian Skylines and the build quality is as good as the KR ones. I can't tell any difference.

They also happen to be the first batch of Skylines that have been plek'ed - and I must say that difference in playability before the plek and after the plek is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. They played great before, but now they're simply fantastic. If anything, the setup is too low!

5. I'm asking this because I'm thinking of going the used route, which would be an old Korean model, then PLEKing it. I don't want to feel cheated out by the Indonesian models being better

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!! Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    What is PLEK?

7. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    its a machine that sets up a bass and cuts and files the frets and nut with extreme precision.

Here's a page on the lakland website about it.

http://www.lakland.com/plek.htm

8. i feel that the korean models are just as good as my indonesian decade. the plekking is great, but all my laklands have great fret work. the plek'd bass can get ridiculous low action(i actually raised mine a little)

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I would say the indonesian are better if not as good as a USA.
    :bag:

The last Korean Skyline I tried, weighed a ton and had some sharp fret ends. If pleked I still like my Decade more, the weight is great for a mahogany bass, not sure about the Indonesian ash basses though, weight wise.

First off your no going to get a Korean one that has been plecked unless someone coughed up the $200 to do it.

10. I wasn't saying that I'd get an already PLEKed Korean, I would take it to Lakland for $125.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I say lets Plek the Panda :)

12. Ouch!!

Can i sig that?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    If you like,yes.

14. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    what will be next station for making low cost series??? africa?? then north pole routed bodies by polar bears then shipped to south pole and wing fitted by penguins ??? then colonized Mars where simple forms of life will be observed and slaved???

its very very very comical how brands directing moving their factories by lowest worker salary....

its like "they finally learnt how to make very nice instruments in korea so we have to move to another station because those bloody koreans are experienced and they want more money....but we want to keep our profits so lets go to cheaper country -and customers...pffff....they are only musicians its simply to convince them that new factory is better.." as usual...

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I can speak for Lakland by saying as a fact,that if it was up to Lakland they would still be making the Skyline series in Korea but since the plant in Korea shut down, Lakland did what they know and feel is the best and that is take the Skyline series to Indonesia.

it's really not comical at all.

I don't think many players would be able to tell the difference between a Skyline made in Korea vs one made in Indonesia if place of origin wasn't stamped on the back of the headstock.

Maybe Laklnd shound't have let consumers who trust them know where the new Laklands are coming from,until a few years later. Now that would be comical :)

And me endorsing lakland has nothing at all to do with my above comments.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Any truth to the rumor that the 55-01 Deluxe is going to be reintroduced??? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Can you tell I made up this rumor myself??? :D :D :D

17. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    funny!!!! I agree!

18. b_ryceeeee

b_ryceeeee

Feb 22, 2008
    since when did lakland start making skylines in indonesia?:confused:

19. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    I dont know about laklands,, but lets see.. squier vintage modified is built in indonesia.. and its a really good bass (2007 best value bass IINM) so yeah i think indonesian craft good basses too.. (im not saying this just because im indonesian.. im surprised too! ::)

@kubs: i wouldnt say anything as long as the quality is kept as what it used to be (or even better) :)

20. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    i know - lets get my previous post with "discount"
    It had to be more funny than any "flame start" post.

But I generally dont like "production" moves its very strange but brands like ampeg or swr and now already eden dropped quality when moved - i would never expect ¨ significant drop quality in electronic production - its still same mechanical manufacturing where human shouldnt have much influence .... and now instrument production... where each instrument is different from another one, and its influenced by used wood(which can vary.. of course...), hand of worker(fitting instrument, finishing etc.)
    so please understand my suspicious mood when some brand talk about "moving" when brands cant sustain quality where manufacturing process shouldn't be influenced by country of factory.....and sorry my indonesian fellows but Squiers are not same league as Lakland Skylines are...even if we confess that VM Squier are fine instrumets for its price...

So Iam sorry that I thought that it was Lakland decision, but I doubt they will sustain same quality - at least first few months will be very hurry in their USA factory where they checking and finishing east production as they claim.

21. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I professionally don't think that the quality has dropped nor will it drop simply because the Skylines are now being made in Indonesia.I have seen my share of the Skylines now made in Indonesia and the quality is top notch to say the least.

For Lakland, the move from Korea to Indonesia was not a sudden decision. They knew it was coming and they did everything properly in preparation for the change.