1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

skylines or U.S. lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattygbass, Sep 12, 2008.

sell my skylines to buy a U.S. lakland?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2008.
  1. sell skylines and custom order a U.S. model?

22 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. sell non lakland basses and buy used U.S.?

43 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. keep all basses and save four used U.S. model?

43 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. forget U.S. model, waste of money?

37 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    As some of you may know, I am a lakland fanatic.I need your help in a decision that ive been on the fence about. i have 4 skyline basses. ive been thinking of selling some or all of them to get money for a U.S lakland. i either want an ice blue JO with the chi-sonics or maybe a glaub pj with jazz taper neck.so here are my options. do i sell my skylines and custom order a new U.S. lakland, do i keep them and sell my non lakland basses an am.del.jazz,bongo,and mim jazz withmodel j's and badass.and buy a used U.S. lakland. or should i keep all my basses and just save money to buy a used one? heres my skylines.

P1000654.

2. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I voted for keeping your current basses and save for either a used or new usa. You can always sell off some of the others later

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How much for the DJ? Honestly, I'd keep them. If you're happy with them and they play well.....................

4. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i do love them all, they play very well. but gas has the better of me at times.:rollno:

5. I voted "forget": unless you have a lot of a lot of money available there is no "real" reason to order a USA model, to have substantially the same bass, taking into account all the nuances. Then, if you really cannot resist to the "USA made call"... save some money for the future!!! Look at which treasure you have at home already!!!

6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Honestly, after playing Skylines and a few US models, the US models have lost any mystique they may have had with me before. To me, they sound and feel the same, with asthetics being the main difference.... not worth the money to me. Keep what you have man!

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I played a US 55-94 and the skyline model of the same design back to back the other day. I could tell almost no difference between them in accordance to sound and playability.

The us one sure looked nicer, and had a bit better finishing done on it, but I would just stick to the skylines, they are great basses.

8. Royce Hayes

Royce Hayes

Nov 21, 2007
    Sell everything and get both US models that you want.

9. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Matt,
    You got the plan, sell off the non-Laklands and get your US models!!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree - so I can remember trying the US-made Laklands in London shops and thinking they were nice basses - but just way too expensive for what they were.

Then when the Skylines came out - they had everything that I liked in the US models - except the price! I bought a 55-02 Deluxe! :)

OK - the US-made basses are better - but not that much better!! ;)

11. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    thanks for all your replies they are good advice. i think i should keep my skylines as i would have a hard time letting any of them go. and i pretty much have all my bases covered(pun intended)

12. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    I think the difference between the US and Skyline Laklands are the same as the difference between the Sadowsky NYC and Metro lines.

For the US-made ones, you give the order and wait around a year and the options are numerous. In the end, you practically get a luthier-made instrument.

The import ones are mass produced with the options chosen by the producer and there's no other options available. That helps to keep the price where it is. Although the Skylines are produced by a contractor in Korea, the QC is done by Lakland and they have to match the Lakland quality criteria. And electronic-wise, they're the same as their US counterparts (except for the xx-01 models).

I'm using a 55-01 myself and there are no issues on the build quality. It's a very solid bass with a great sounding low-B string. I changed the stock MK1 electronics, though, because I found them quite crappy. With the Nordstrand Fat Stacks and Aguilar OBP3 pre, it's a killer bass now.

I'd also suggest to keep the Skylines and save for a US Lakkie...

13. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I have been told this by everyone that has a 55-01, what is it about the elctronics and pickup that is bad?

I absolutely love mine and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. it is pretty much the tone and sound I have been looking for for the past 15 years.

even the guy who sold it to me told me the electronics and pickups suck... I don't get it.

14. same thing that happens with a MIM J or P: you "upgrade" them because... you can; and there's nothing really wrong with that if this is your peace!!! But, honestly, no prejudices: a MIM J sounds as good as an Us made. In the sense that you can bring the bread on the table with it in the same way. The rest is "psichological nuances" (mind you: I am exactly in the same campus!!!)

15. I voted to sell the non-Lakland basses, but unless you really want the special color or neck, I'd stick with your Skylines.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is no way that one US Lakland can give you the same value as four Skylines. Keep your Skylines and save your money!:rolleyes:

If you sell, you will be simply setting yourself up for a huge case of regret.:atoz:

17. GAS has made us mad. Keep those Skys. Good basses.

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I agree with all of the above. This is NOT a slam against US Lakland...it is a testemant to the quality of the Skylines. After a 55-02 and dual JO5's, the Skylines are scarey good. A dear friend of mine played 6-7 of them mixxed sky/US and ended up going US because of the finish he had to have. He said the Skylines were every bit what the US models were. I am a sunburst nut so my finish is available in Skyline. They are tone machines. Will I ever own a US Lakland? Yes eventually because I really want an ebony unllined board on a JO5 fretless. It is only available in the US. Iether save your money or sell the non-Lakies but I would not part with your current collection.

19. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    annoyingaaafdsfsfdsdfsdf
    Well, actually the pickup is of acceptable quality. It has a character of its own but not what I wanted.

It's actually the preamp that I don't like at all. The EQ center frequencies suck big time. Boosting the midrange makes the bass sound very annoying, while boosting the treble produces a terribly unnatural clank. Boosting the bass adds some low-mids, too, which alters the tone. With the OBP3, bass and treble controls work at very nicely chosen frequencies so they add low-end or high-end without altering the tone. The mids also work at very well chosen two frequencies (400 or 800Hz) that don't become annoying even when boosted to the top.

When I decided to mod the bass, my Aguilar OBP3 order arrived earlier than the Nordie pickups. I installed it right away and used the bass with the stocks PU's plus the OBP3. There was a great improvement compared to the stock pre. With the addition of the Nordies and a passive tone control, now I get almost everything that a P-bass and a J-bass can offer.

That was my experience briefly. Of course tastes may vary. For example, I don't like the preamp characteristics of Ken Smith basses either but some dig them greatly. Just not my taste, so it's crap to me. Might not be crap to others :eyebrow:

20. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I understand... its funny to me because I can agree with you on the preamp, I don't really like how it boosts mids or highs... the thing is I love how it sounds set flat... so I never even end up boosting anything hehe.

I have the 55-01 set flat, going into my eden wt-550 which is also set flat and it sound incredible to me.