Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skynyrd on PBS--Medlocke edited out?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Hey, last night I caught part of Skynyrd's "Live from Steel Town" on Public TV. What was really odd...every bit of sound from Ricky Medlocke's playing was GONE. Not just low, not buried in the mix, GONE. For example, during "Free Bird", he takes the lead on the instrumental. The camera focuses tight on him, he's visisbly wailing away for a few minutes...and all you hear are the rhythym chords and piano in the background. It was this way for the whole show.

What gives? Some sort of contract dispute made them cut him out of the mix?

Needless to say, this ruined the whole show.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it could have been cheap decoding on the part of PBS. I notice that a lot of brodcasts, even on high budget channels like MTV, that there is not a lot of power in the low end. It's like a phone, their frequency ranges aren't good. That could be the explanation.

3. No, all the other guitar parts were crystal clear and well mixed.....(Medlocke's one of their three lead guitarists, this had Leon Wilkeson on bass). Looked to me like deliberate editing, his playing was COMPLETELY gone, not just low or buried, for the entire hour.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Interesting. I couldn't imagine why. Could have been a bad line form the board to the recorder, just on that one channel, but I would imagine Skynrd would have competent enough sound men to fix that. Strange...

5. yeah, i don't think it's personal, because i've seen that stuff happen on pbs a lot. they will just be rocking out doing some solo, but all you can hear seems to be what is being picked up by all the other microphones...probably a mic malfunction...