1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skype Lessons with Carol Kaye

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Hi Everyone!

Just curious if anyone on TB has in the past, or is currently taking Skype lessons with Carol Kaye. I am really interested to hear some opinions from folks who are/have. Please share your stories or message privately if you'd prefer. I know she can be a bit of a sensitive subject around here but if you're responding, either positively or negatively, please include your reasoning as well. Thanks in advance for any feedback shared!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I haven't but I would love to. I got some old books of hers a few years back. I got the play along recordings and some other books off her website. I remember her (well, her staff) including a stack of cool paperwork including paystubs and hand-written notes. It was pretty awesome. I look forward to hearing some stories.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  3. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    I agree. I have a bunch of her instructional materials, and love them!!! They are packed with information and take a bit of a different approach than a lot of other books/teachers I've used. I'm curious to hear how the lessons are from someone that has first hand experience. Definitely considering giving it a try.

4. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Admittedly, I had no idea who she was until recently, or how much she's contributed to popular music. I've never taken formal bass lessons but this seems really cool. I wonder if you can record the lesson.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  5. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    That's a great idea fretter! Good for all lessons really. I feel like so many times with a good teacher they pass on so much information that you can lose some of it when you get lost in those "aha" moments. I'm definitely looking into whether you can do this and if you can and I do, I will!!!

fretter likes this.
  6. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Maybe I can open this up to a broader audience by welcoming feedback from anyone who is presently or has used her materials to work from and/or to teach with.

7. rumblejunkie

rumblejunkie

Nov 19, 2011
    Falkirk
    I never knew that she did Skype lessons . The lady is a legend and quite a phenomenol guitar player too .

fretter and ErikP.Bass like this.
  8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I have her bass DVD course w/booklet. I think there is a lot of good information there, but it is concentrated. I realized I needed more practical theory and music reading skills to get the most out of it, so I put it on the shelf for the time being until I can give it its due. I like her approach with the pick, and 1-2-4 finger fretting. She is chord tone focused, as opposed to scales. Obviously, her teaching is informed by years in the studio trenches and this has given her strong ideas and opinions on what works and she has a real passion for passing on this knowledge. Many of her students have gone on to be top pros. I'm actually interested in the way she has learned to read notes and rhythms...the studio shorthand...but that would be getting ahead of myself at this point.

I see in the accompanying materials that she does offer skype lessons, but it specifies no beginners and no punk and metal. Like Jeff Berlin, I think she believes that jazz offers the most comprehensive education in music, which I don't doubt.

9. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Well, I've decided to give taking lessons with Carol a try starting in January. I am really excited. In researching more I found that you can record both audio and video of Skype sessions but Carol only permits audio. This is a bit of a bummer especially as I'll be going over some technique related aspects but I respect her wishes. Still curious to hear feedback from others who have taken lessons with her.

10. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I didn't know it was an option in Skype to only record the audio portion. I thought it just automatically recorded both audio and video. How would she even know if you're recording the video?

11. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Most of what I found for recording was third party software not functionality within Skype itself. From the feedback I received from her, recording the video can really slow the connection too. Given the legalities around disclosure of recording a conversation, and just being an honest and trustworthy person, I would never record against her wishes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    FantasticFour and GrooverMcTube like this.
  12. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I forgot that I used a software called Evaer. It works pretty well. I think you can use it to record your lessons in MP3 audio-only files.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    After lessons with David Friesen, Ray Brown and some other less well known monsters my understanding of studying with heavy players is that the teacher/student relationship not a customer/service provider arrangement. Of course it's essential to go in with questions and some idea of what they can do for you but if you don't follow their observations and ideas and do things on their terms you're wasting their time and your money.

I know TB member @Roy Vogt studied with Carol and has talked about it in different posts. You might find something if you search his posts.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  14. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks Jeff. I completely agree in your first remarks and have faith in Carol's methods for both technique and improvisation. I searched around for some of Roys posts but didn't find too much but I'll keep looking. Feel free to share any threads you find that seem helpful. I just read through the Carol Kaye pick method thread from JimmyM and boy was that GREAT!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    First lesson is scheduled for this Sunday and man am I pretty excited. I'll definitely report back afterwards. Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any stories to share.

Dug2 likes this.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'd be interested in doing that just so I could say I was taught by Carol Kaye :).

I met her at NAMM about 10 years ago. She was alone, sitting on a stool noodling on an Ibanez bass. I didn't know who she was, but could tell for some unknown reason that she wasn't anyone ordinary. Noticed someone else staring at her, and asked if he knew who she was. He did. I introduced myself, exchanged a few words of small talk... and she seemed very personable and friendly. She had no reason not to be, so... yeah... that's all I got :).

I'll add that it's interesting to see great players just noodling on a bass. They just noodle sometimes, too... same as you and I.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  17. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    That's great Joe; dig the story! I'd be lying if I said I didn't wholeheartedly agree with your first statement and that that wasn't part of my motivation.

I've had some RSI issues over the years and think that was when I first came across her materials. The pace can be quick, and at times mind bending, but everything I have gleaned has been super helpful for my playing, particularly the technique aspects and the chordal scale approach. I just always got the sense that there was something very powerful in there but bounced around somewhat and felt pretty overwhelmed at times.

She's been very pleasant and approachable in all my dealings with her and I'm really looking forward to getting her feedback on my playing and some direction with where I should focus my efforts.

18. You would do yourself a huge disservice by not at least recording the audio in some manner, even if it is as simple as putting your phone up next to the computer speakers. I studied with Anthony Wellington for about 4 straight years and I recorded every lesson. Even now I can find information in even the earliest lessons that I either forgot or didn't get at the time that helps my playing in many ways.

Besides, when you are in the heat of battle, getting the lesson and trying to not be nervous, you are gonna miss a lot of stuff. You may get the basic message/lesson, but it's her off-hand, side comments where the genius will be. You will miss those for sure, without a recording...

ErikP.Bass and Goatrope like this.
  19. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    I agree with you 100% Spin Doctor, and I plan on using my iPhone to record the lessons. She strongly encourages it for the very reasons you cite. Players at her level just operate on a different wavelength, that we are all really aspiring to I suppose, and sometimes the little tidbits and side comments can be where the genius lives. Lessons with Anthony Wellington must have been AWESOME! I can imagine those recordings to be a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  20. Looking forward to your feed back on the lesson Erik P.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021