SL duet with Theo Travis

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by MKS, Jun 4, 2003.

1. TB-ers, if you haven't downloaded or listened to this track, I'd thoroughly recommend that you do. Gorgeous playing all round.

Steve - Can you talk us through how you recorded it (gear?). How do you get that lovely reverb on the sax? Post-processing?
  2. bassplayerdude

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm loving this track. I think it's incredible that they can come up with something so beautiful on the spot. I can't wait for the duo album to come out.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    thanks mike and bassplayerdude!

signal chain - well, for the bass it went

Modulus Q4 --> Ashdown preamp (preamp stage of ABM500) --> Lexicon MPX-G2 for reverb and a bit of EQ --> Behringer Desk --> computer via Delta 4/4 soundcard. The Echoplex was in one of the FX loops on the desk for the looping at the end.

The signal chain for the flute was, I think

AKG BETA 58 --> Line 6 DL4 (for delay) --> comp via Delta 4/4.

The whole thing was recorded into FLStudio, and the individual audio tracks were normalised and EQ'd a bit in Soundforge.

The reverb was a VST plugin running in FLStudio.

The recording process was just one of 'hey, let's do something without any looping', as most of the stuff we'd done up until then has had loads of looping in it (more MP3s coming soon) - so I hit that first chord, started playing some other chords and Theo joined in. That's it! Simple as that...

if you've not heard it yet, head over to and download it from the MP3s page...

thanks for the interest guys! The album will be out in the next few months, hopefully, and we're playing at The National Theatre in London on June 17th...

4. It seems a little unconventional to be using FL Studio as the recording application (over say Cubase or Sonar or somesuch). How do you find working with it?
  5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Mike,

I'm finding it really easy. I didn't want to have to keep switching between applications for sequencing and recording, and as I already knew the interface from Fruity Loops, when FLStudio came out, I got it ($50 upgrade from Fruity Loops Full) and have been really really impressed. The mixer section is great for processing, the pattern window is fantastic for arranging and non-destructive editing, and the plug in set that comes with it is ridiculously good for a total of $150..!

I think the association with Fruity Loops will put a lot of people off, but I'm really enjoying FLStudio...