1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slam Stewart!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Gilbert F, May 9, 2006.

1. Gilbert F

Gilbert F Guest

Oct 13, 2004
    I don't post much on TB, but when I saw this video, I knew I had to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olrL12XZuq0&search=slam%20stewart

Slam Stewart is one of my favorite all time bassists, and I haven't seen too many threads regarding him recently. I got turned on to him when my bass teacher played me a record of him playing/sing solo live, and I've been hooked ever since. Hope you enjoy the video.

2. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    That is so killing! Thanks for posting.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow!

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Hey Gilbert F, Thanks for posting this. I'm a big Slam fan as well.

Was that Slim Gallard of Slim & Slam on pn and guit?

BG

5. will have to check this later

6. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    That is WOWZA!

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Too cool.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    From Hellzapoppin' (1941), the hilarious Hollywood production directed by H.C. Pootter and starring zany commdians Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, this clip features Rex Stewart (co), MIJ Jones (tb), Elemer Fane (cl), unknown (ts), Slim Galliard (p,g,tap-dancing), Slam Stewart (b), Cee Pee Johnson (d), The Harlem Congaroos (dancers, AKA Whitey's Lindyhoppers).

9. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Gilbert,

Thanks for posting this! You totally made my day. Love that Slammin' Slam Stewart!

10. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Slim & Slam were virtual Pop stars in the 30's & 40's.

Not to get off topic, but don't you wish that Pop culture today was even slightly as hip as it was back then? All that sophisticated talent literally jumpin' and swingin' right off screen.

Now we have "It's hard Out Here For A Pimp" (won this years Oscar for best song) from the movie Hustle & Flow.

How far we've sunk. Just my .02.

BG

11. I concur wholeheartedly.

12. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Don't get me started. In the 50's, the music of teen rebellion was jazz. Jazz was all over the radio.
    I remember taking a high school date to Birdland to see Slim Gaillard. Neither of us thought there was anything unusual about doing that.
    You could also sit in the gallery, sometimes just 2 feet from the piano (as in Bud Powell) for about$1.25.

13. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I heard the LP recording of this -
    In 1945, there was a jazz concert scheduled in Town Hall. There was a snowstorm, and the only two musicians to show up were Slam and Don Byas. So they went on stage and played as a duo. Astounding how harmonically complete the music was.

14. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a few Slam/Byas recordings myself... they're absolutely phenomenal. Any time I find myself thinking we do hipper stuff now than they did back then... I listen to Slam and Byas playing "Indiana." Daaaaamn!

Oh and Don, I know your point about the price of live jazz was sort of an afterthought, but I think that... it's just too complicated an issue to explain in terms of changing pop culture.

15. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting side note about Slam Stewart:

I met a guy who had dinner with Slam's widow many years ago. He said Slam's bass was in the corner of the living room, and he tried playing it but found it almost impossible because of an obscene string height and generally poor setup.

I have no doubt that Slam Stewart overcame setup issues that would be intractable for most modern players.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    But how much of that was because it had been sitting around since Slam died? Maybe Slam kept it in good shape and it fell into bad shape after he died.

17. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    I'd love to hear that. I've done alot of bass/tenor duo playing and when it's good I often have thought, "this is all you need".

"I have a few Slam/Byas recordings myself... they're absolutely phenomenal. Any time I find myself thinking we do hipper stuff now than they did back then... I listen to Slam and Byas playing "Indiana." Daaaaamn!"

I've have thought the same thing while listening to Slam. Ever hear his sides w/ Bird?

BG

18. Very cool vid! I'd never seen video of Slam before.

Being new to DB (having played slab for 25 years), the first thing I noticed was his baseball bat grip on the neck. There are always exceptions to the rules, right?

-tom

19. jkoffman

jkoffman

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm a huge Slam-o-phile and collector. Always looking for anything Slam related: recordings, memorabilia, etc. PM me if you want to trade, sell or just talk Slam.

Also visit:
    http://www.myspace.com/slamstewart