Slap: 2X12 vs. 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by floydbass, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Willa 12 still have the tight sound i need for slap or do i need 10's. please help me and weigh in on the subject.
  2. Depends entirely on the cabinet and speakers inside. Some 12's are quicker and thumpier than some 10's.

Maybe describe what type of slap sound you're looking for and we can help.

For what it's worth, I used to slap the heck out of a 2x15 Mesa cab, but now I'm slapping the heck out of a 6x10 Berg and a LDS 1x12 (eminence Kappa loaded).
  3. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Depends on what 12's.
    I have an eden 212xlt and its awesome and tight for slap.
    I have also heard some Bag End 12's and they are also nice and
    tight for slap.

4. What they said. My EBS NEO-112s are fantastic for slap.
  5. Im looking at the avatar 212 and 410, my favorite slap tones include Les Claypool and Vic Wooten. I like the bright snapy slap but also les claypool style slap so what do you guys think?
  6. Claypool is best known for slapping 15's...Wooten's signature Ampegs are 10's and a 15. Now your diving into extremely subjective waters, what may work best for ME (me, being anybody you ask) may not work best for YOU. I know it sucks, but you're just going to have to try them out. There really is no 'what's best for You for slap' cause we aren't in your head.

Another option could be to get a cab with a variety of drivers..Schroeder 1210 (12" and 10") SWR Triad (15", 8" I think, and horn), etc. There's plenty of cabs out there that have the best of all worlds built-in.
  7. Sorry to correct you, Mo;

The triad consists of a 15", a 10" and a horn. Eden also built this configuration for a while and sounds a little warmer than the Triad, not a bad concept which somehow never became that popular.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Triads I have played through always seemed to lack something, I could never put my finger on it. They seemed like a good idea on paper :meh: /back on topic.....I think 12's are great for slap :bassist:
  9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I actually like 12 's better because there's more depth to the attack (if that makes any sense...).
  10. In these days some 12" woofers can produce the idetical low end of a 15" with ease, but the advantage of the 12" are that they have a faster attack and that makes the low end sound a lot more defined. I am a serious advocate of 12" woofers, I wonder why..........???? :D
  11. +1. To me the 12´s are a (near) perfect compromise between bottom end, volume and portability.