1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap and Pop bass tutorial I found, is it correct?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RandomBox, Oct 1, 2013.

1. http://m.wikihow.com/Play-Slap-Bass

Do you guys think this tutorial is accurate?

Earlier today I started experimenting with slap/pop bass (no tutorial) and got an okay sound. I looked up this tutorial later, and it helped.

So, what do you think?

2. Bump (because I'm still confused)

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    If the tutorial is helping you and you are happy with the sound you are getting, I dont see where the problem lies. :confused:

Perhaps you could go into more detail as to why you are confused ?

In the meantime here is another in dept video lesson on learning slap bass.

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    "when you hit the string try and hit the bottom half of it, the bottom of your thumb should end up on the next string." - that's only one way to slap.
    The other way is to allow your thumb to bounce back into the 'ready position' - TBH that's more what I think of as classic slap.

If you are learning to slap through, you should also look up double thumb technique.

5. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    There are a few techniques for slap-and-pop. I can't tell what that tutorial is really going for. The pictures don't align w/ the words, from how I read it.
    The pictures look "Flea-style"(Flea didn't invent it, but certainly helped popularize it): Perpendicular thumb, bounces off the string.
    There's also "Wooten-style"(what is this, "kung fu"?), in which you keep your thumb parallel to the string and slap through, coming to rest on the string below(what the words say). You can come up through the string too. I think this is a harder style. It's less flashy, but you can get a double-pop at ludicrous speed and is probably easier on your hands. ...maybe.

6. Currently what I've done is simple, slap the E or A string, then pop a few notes on the other two.