Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap and Pop on BEAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    For all of those 4players (no pun intended), who string BEAD.... Are there any drawbacks to slapping and popping? Particularly on popping the A string or slapping the B string?

I am really going to start needing the deeper string but only want to play 4 strings because I want to be different (everyone in the gospel scene plays a minimum of 5 strings just because staying low is crucial). Everyone plays 5, or 6 with the occasional oddball playing 7.

I figured I could just string my bass with light gauge A and D strings, normal gauge E and heavy gauge B but I absolutely could not stand the light gauge strings that came on my SX. They were way to small and the sound wasn't as thick either.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally, I eventually bought a five string because I was forced to tune my (then only) bass BEAD and felt it was less than ideal for slapping.
    Slapping the E on the low B string and popping the E on the A string did sound pretty cool (I once did Warren G's "Regulate" with a cover band which has that nice, simple slap bass line which is probably lifted from somewhere and it worked really well) but I really did miss that high G string.
    I also found it very hard to pull off Marcus Miller-esque slap solos (my favourite type of slap solo) with BEAD tuning. Your mileage may vary.

3. "I keep forgetting" - Michael McDonald :)