1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap and poppin' a 5er

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_snake, May 8, 2010.

1. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Sorry in advance if this question had been answered before. I did my research and couldn't find a same topic.

Anyway, my question is. What are the pros and cons of slapping a 5 string bass? I'm getting a new 4 string bass that I would mostly use for slapping but I'm also considering a 5 string bass.

I know that which ever feels comfortable to me but what are other pros and cons?

thanks,

Fred

2. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    If you get a five, you'll probably be more comfortable with a wider string spacing, i.e. the standard 3/4" 4 string spacing.

(....for slapping, that is. Part of why I like a more narrowly spaced five-string is that it's less work for me to play as a NON slapper!)

good luck!

3. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Personally, I can recommend the string spacing that is found on the Ibanez SR305. It's great for slapping, but still close enough together to enable comfortable playing.

4. I concur that SR's are nice 5/6 string slappers(this coming from a mostly-avowed 3/4" spacing ONLY guy).
    For me, the best part of slapping a 5 is the low D(on the B, w/the upper octave ready & willing). Muting is trickier than w/a 4, but try a 6 & it won't seem so tough. :D

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Pros - You can slap in keys other than E
    - You can slap in the upper register without having to move all the way back up to hit a low F or G or what ever.
    - You will never need to detune again (you may want to, but you won't NEED to)
    - The B string can make your heart flutter :D
    - Things that were almost impossible to play on a 4 suddenly are not that challenging.
    - You will be hated on by di-hard 4 bangers for being able to slap a 5 string silly:D
    - You will get more girls:D or guys (if that's your thing)

Cons - the extra string can sometimes be harder to mute
    - The B siring can sound different than the E (depending on the quality of the bass/strings) a proper setup usually fixes this.
    - You may need to upgrade your head & cab to properly handle the B string.
    - Once you get used to it it's dang hard to go back to a regular 4 banger. This can also be a pro ;)
    - You can sometimes get confused as to what string you are on (but only until you get more comfortable)
    - The B string can make your bowels move:eek:

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Great! Thanks guys for all the replies. I try to slap my 6 string bass but it's just the spacings are too close to each other.

I think I'll check out some 5ers with wider spacings.