Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap and the bottom falls out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big Benner, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Hey all,

My band and I've been working on this song where it's all bouncy finger style and then for 4 bars I get a little solo. It's medium pace tune where guitars and keys drop out and when I start slapping half way through the solo, so does the bottom end on my bass.

I've got a Boss ME-50B and have been trying to mess around with the compressors but so far no luck. Any helpful hints?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Slap is a technique that naturally does not have much bottom. Because it is such a different sound from finger style, you need to consider changing your eq. Finger style sounds best with good mid support. Slapping sounds best with the mids cut back and the low and high end boosted. Try playing around with the eq on your amp till you find a setting that sounds good to you.

BTW, slapping will never get you as much low end as finger style. It is just an inherent attribute of the technique. Slap is all about the noise you get from the strings hitting the frets.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Oh, one other thing. On the rare times that I slap, I find it is a good time to toss in some effects.

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Are you maybe hitting the strings really hard? If so, try lightening up a little. That should help out a bit.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I slap, I tend to hit the knobs on my bass first - if there's time. A little bump in the lows, a little cut on the mid. Just a little .. .

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    make a seperate eq patch on your me50.