Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap audition material

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapfish, Nov 26, 2000.

1. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm getting ready for an audition in a few months, and I'm starting to pick out pieces that I want to work out for it. I'm planning on doing two jazz tunes, a swing and a bossa (typical head-solo type of form), along with a funk tune. The funk is where I need a little help. My technique is fine (or at least I'd like to think it is), and I feel pretty confident that I can play most anything given the time to work on it (with the exception of double-thumping...still haven't gotten that down yet). So my question is, can anyone reccommend a particular song with a prominent slap bass groove or solo? I'm looking for something really tough...something that will just flat-out knock people out and make them go :eek:. Fishbone's "Bonin' in the Boneyard" is the first one that came to mind, but I'm at a loss for ideas after that. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try anything by Mark King or Level 42 (for the unitiated, it's MOR Britpop, but impeccably written and played). Depending on what you're auditioning for, the music may or may not be appropriate, but King's slap lines are unquestionably impressive. "Love Games" and "To Be With You Again" feature some great slap bass lines that can be learned by ear.

Stu Hamm does some scary slap stuff, eg. "Black Ice;" "Call of the Wild," but it's more rockish than funky. Hal Leonard publishes a "Stu Hamm Bass Book;" if you want to floor your bandmates, there's stuff in there that could accomplish that task.

If you're up for it, learn Stanley Clarke's part for "Lopsy Lu," which combines melody, bass and percussive stuff in one line. Better yet, learn all of Stanley's stuff. And Louis Johnson's. And Victor Wooten's.

In a pinch, you could always whip out Flea's line for "Higher Ground." Not that impressive, but idiot-proof.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Try to play this on a narrow neck (string spacing) 5 or six string bass. It's really annoying! :D

4. Marcus Miller's "Live and More" CD has a lot of great slap/pop solos, especially the cover of "Summertime". Also, Will Lee does a killer interpretation of "Higher Ground" on Hiram Bullock's CD "Live at Manny's Car Wash." Check out some tunes by Larry Graham on "Best of Graham Central Station" like "Hair" , "Jam", and a few others. Consider a slapped version of "Superstition".