Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Bass Accuracy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Mar 6, 2003.

1. I have problems with slap accuracy. I can never seen to slap the A string without either the E string making noise or the D string making noise. Is this just something that will go away with practice or is it my technique. I *try to* slap like Flea and even downloaded a big movie with him in it. (Great accomplishment for a 24ker) If anyone can give me any tips or anything. I could just raise and A string but thats pretty lame and won't help in the long run.

Thanks

2. all it takes is practice. make your hand a loose fist with your index finger loosely sticking out. gently try slapping all the strings without hitting the others, going up and down e-a-d-g slowly, and then get a little faster, and it would help to practice muting each string as you slap it. just get faster and more precise on your hits. and dont give your hand any extra movement, consolidate it all into a small space. repitition, repitition, repitition. after you get that down, do the above, but pluck the string under the string you just slapped as you go up and down. then your newly-learned technique will able to bridge over to new techniques!

:D

3. Teaching the double thumb, let's take in one step at a time,
    Remember, take it slow don't try to get speed too fast, you want this to be like second nature, and once you get your slaps precise at a slow speed, the speed will come easily,

4. yeah

5. this may be bad advice so I won't feel to bad if you just tell me to shut up, but it did work for me.

When i first started to slap i would just hold the bass while watching tv and practice, I wouldn't even pay attention to what i was doing i would just mute the strings and try hitting one string at a time. you would be amazed at how much you improve when you practice for 3 or 4 hours a day.:bassist:

6. When I first started slapping I had some problems with accuracy as well. I read an article in Bass Player on the bassist for Faith No More and he said the key for him is to try to eliminate as much motion as possible and keep his right hand close to the strings. I tried this and it helped out tremendously. My advise would be to start slow, with a metronome, and work on limiting the motion in your right hand.

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Volume Fiend put it perfectly for me. Just practice the accuracy part, and practice it alot. It will make perfect.;)

8. same ting use to happen to me. but now it's all cool; i can slap 'em all. just practice.

9. My problem is a little harder to solve...
    I just dont know what slapping is...yeah...I have read about it, seen about it a little, trying to do it...but I dunno what to do anyway. Help plz. A carefully explanation would help a lot.

10. i'm not sure if this is a good or bad technique, but i had the same problem and i started muting the E and D strings, or at least the E string, when slapping on the A. It works pretty good for me.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Lesson 13: Muted G-String Popping from Warwick's Bass Survival 101 may look like it's only a lesson in popping, but it also helps your slap a lot as well. I practiced for hours, and my slapped improved appropriately. After going through this lesson, though, I not only gained a better understanding of slapping in general but I also learned about slap muting (which Flea uses a LOT! Especially in Aeroplane). Trust me, this lesson is worth soooo much.

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yep used to happen to me now, but like floyd said just practice, and you will get it./