Slap Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HenniTheRover, Mar 19, 2006.

1. HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    Im a new bass player and i like to play a bit of slap bass, not entirely but definitely a bit. I was told by a store owner that heavy playing may blow out an amp if not suitable enough for this playing? Is there actually any truth to that? Are there any suggestions for amps that would be sufficient for playing louder heavier slap bass? Also, if anyone may know any suggestions for strings. I lose tone very quickly playing a lot of slap bass.:bassist:
  2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I’m not sure why you would lose tone slapping, I do it, and have no problem with my tone., as far as a good amp for slap I think it is more the player than the amp, but you don’t want to try and push a low wattage amp too far or it will distort. IMHO, I would not get anything with less than 200 watts, and I think the best cabinets for slap have 10s, or 12s. They give you a better punch than the larger speakers. Like I said this is IMHO. Yes I am the guy that like to use 18s, but 18s are not for everyone. :p
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    G-K seems to be a popular slapping rig. There are really a lot of variables, so there really isn't one right answer. Try a few and see what you like. Good luck.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Flea used Mesa 2x15s for slap.
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    SWR's players seem to be of the slapping ilk. I think their Goliath series of cabinets are geared towards that, too.
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Any amp can be used for slap, so long as the volumes are set so that the pre and the power don't "clip" when slapping.
  7. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Like said before it's pretty much what sounds good too you. I've heard the EBS amps are really good for slapping. (That's what Marcus Miller uses)
  8. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You might want to skip the bass cabinets and go for a pro sound cabinet. A good three way. You'll be able to get anything out of your bass and playing.

You should also try a compressor (a good one), for slapping try a multiband where you compress the lows different than the highs. It does wonders.
  9. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Aye he also used Mesa 2x10s on top as well though.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you don't turn up to volumes that you amp can't handle, you don't have to worry about blowing the speakers. As for good slapping amps, I find that a GK head with a tweetered cab does wonders. Pre-Power rigs also work very well in this application.
  11. HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    I posted before inquiring about bass gear but i obviously dont have the understanding to make any decision about what i want at this point... Im confused about what is neccesary for a decent rig as far as cabs, preamps, power amps, heads, etc. Im not completely sure about what the functionality of all these are. I am completely in the dark about equiptment for bass. Im just starting out and i am into slap bass a bit but i like to play some soft jazz stuff too. If anyone could give me some advice or direct me to info about all this i would greatly appreciate it. Also im definitely open to suggestions about the type of bass. I currently am playing a fender jazz on a small combo. :help:
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, what exactly are you looking for? A practice amp, one for say, medium size venues, or what?

Also, if you have the money, I would almost suggest taking the seperate amp + cab route, mostly because you can switch em up if you want....but info is all over the place here..,..
  13. HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    mostly id like to be able just get good sound when jamming and be able to keep up with the volume of everyone else but i think the guys i play with would like to do some gigging eventually, im thinking about going up to a grand plus eventually i will want to upgrade my bass, basically whatever it takes to get something suitable. i dont know if i need a preamp, power, cab, head, i really just dont know whats all necessary and what they all are for
  14. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    For starting out your jazz might be fine, I find playability on the bass is even more important than the sound I'm getting (obiously my tone is still important). Your bass might already be setup, but there's a good chance its not. I'd make sure it is easy to slap and pop without buzzing. IE no excesive sting buzzing, but low action and a well adjusted truss rod.

You don't really need to buy a whole new amp for "slap bass", just turn the amp down a little so the amp isn't all farty sounding. Your bass will have louder spikes when slapping than playing with your fingers so you'll need to turn down to compensate.

IMO if you're just starting out, and aren't looking to do gigs. But just play in your room or something, what you have now should be fine. If you're situation is different from what I gathered, and described above, then I'd offer different advice for your amp situation.
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's the player, not the amp.

The amp shouldn't need to spike or clip when you slap. It's all about control. You can get a slap sound with the lightest of touch..