Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap bass clips?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ducati151, May 10, 2004.

1. ducati151

ducati151

May 4, 2004
    I just ordered my bass off of rondomusic(can't wait for it to come, btw, how long did it take you to get yours?) and I heard that people are extremely impressed by slapping. I've read some things on the internet about it, but have never seen a clip of it. Do any of you know where any quicktime or shockwave clips are? Sorry, don't have wmv, i have a macintosh computer.

Can't wait to :bassist:

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eh, I wouldn't say people are overly impressed with slapping. Most people find it annoying if they don't know what it is. Check out Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, Vic Wooten, there's some good slap in there.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Maybe people who don't know anything about the bass are "extremely impressed" but to me what is most impressive is being able to slap (I prefer to call it thumping, I don't really "slap" anything on my bass) and make sure it's all music.

Ghost notes can be cool but easily overused.

Remember, playing with your thumb or whatever doesn't mean you have to play a certain way...it doesn't force you to be "slapping." There are so many things you can do with your bass, technique-wise, that I would recommend not trying to just focus on one technique so you can "impress" people.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    To echo what Jared said a bit, don't play just to impress. Especially if you are a bassist. Think of it this way, if wanky guitarists didn't have bass players, they wouldn't know where they were at in the song, everything would fall apart, blah blah all that other stuff we are suppose to do. ;) It make not be as impressive, but making music that sounds good is impressive enough for me.

I'm guilty of slapping too much, but I don't do it a whole lot in a band situation. Slap is more... fun... to me that anything. It's not very practical, you rarely find a guitarist/bandmates who know what to do when you start doing it... basically (ha ha bass), get solid before you get flashy.

Good luck on bassing though. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Primus is probably my favorite "slap band." Les Claypool is flashy while remaining solid. Some might aruge he's "sloppy" but I mean solid in the riffage sense.

Also, there is no better place to learn about something than to go back where it started. Larry Graham of Sly and The Family Stone invented slap on the electric bass. If I'm not mistaken, "Thank You Falletin Me Be Mice Elf" (I'm sure I butchered the title) is the first slap song they recorded. I also downloaded a really cool bass solo by him that was mainly octaves but it was so cool and groovin'.

Mark King of the band Level 42 is also renown for slapping. His bass solos are simply amazing.