Slap bass. How high up the neck do you play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ics1974, May 29, 2021.

1. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    How high up the neck do you slap and pop? Around what fret do you usually stop using for slap bass?

2. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Probably no higher than the E on the A string and the octave pop on the G string, but even that pretty rarely...

3. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Yes I noticed past that you don’t have as good tone. Popping does not have the same clean snap and starts to rattle a bit.

4. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    You can definitely thumb it up there. Power by Marcus Miller is up pretty high. You just have to pop a bit softer. Kind of like when you have to adjust your finger style playing above the 12th fret. If you dig in up there it rattles like hell, at least for me

Lownote38 and Groove Doctor like this.
  5. ABBA’s song Gimme Gimme a Man After Midnight
    - slap 12th fret A string
    - pop 14th fret G string.

Rose Royce’s Car Wash
    - slap 10th fret E string
    - pop 12t fret D string.
    - slap 12th fret A string,
    - pop 14th fret G string,

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  6. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Put on a new set of strings and now I can pop the g string much higher up the neck. Must have been a bad string.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Depends on the set up of your bass but you should be able to get a decent sound until the 12th fret at least. Although it gets harder to pop the higher you go past the 10th fret or so because of the higher tension.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021