Slap Bass lessons

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by MatthewS, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Upright Bass Lessons in So Cal

There is a growing number of people wanting to play or already playing upright bass.
    Do you need some help? Wellllll I will be happy to teach. So if anyones intrested in learning slap on the upright or just pizz, let me know. I have been playing for 6 years now, and have played for The Atomic Men, Slanderin, Rezurex, Calavera, and now Mad Marge and the Stonecutters, not to mention the many fill ins in other bands.
    Do you want to play fast?
    Learn scales and bass lines?
    Learn tripples, drag tripplets, gallops, quads and the many other combos?
    Learn to play with ease, you dont have to have bumped over strings to do so.
    Do you need help with minor setups on your bass?
    Or how about proper intonation?
    I will be giving lessons starting now.

Why learn the wrong, hard way --- when you can learn the easy way!!!!

contact me here [email protected] for times and prices

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wouldn't drag dripplets be better served by a visit to a urologist?

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    yeah, drag dripplets sound kinda gross.

On the other hand, Tripples are very very very tasty! MMMMmmmmmmmm!!! :smug:

4. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Yes, probably so.
    But heck, maybe I can teach you and make few bucks on the side with anyother problems you might be having :)

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had a big Hawaiian guy demonstrate some slapping one time on my bass, had my jaw on the floor. Unfortunately, none of it sank in... he was really funny... I said "Show me how you do that" and he said " I just did." :D

6. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I guess to sum it up, the lessons offered here by MatthewS will help you to dribble on the bass?:D

7. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    I thought joking wasnt allowed on this forum?

8. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Well, if you want to be taken more seriously, you might start a discussion about all of these techniques you profess to have mastery of.

If you want to be taken seriously as a teacher, it would be a good idea to fill out your profile a little bit more than saying you are "male".

Otherwise it seems that you are trolling for quick and easy backstage fun. That how it sounds to me anyway.

So why not tell us some more, wouldn't that be a good idea from a business point of view? Shouldn't that help you to find music students?

9. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Quick and easy backstage fun? haha
    really?
    I didnt profess to have mastery over anything for one.
    I am not looking to teach people with attitudes that they know all, as I dont feel this way. But people willing and wanting to learn something then a method that has been taught for many years.
    If you want to learn, I will teach you.
    Instead of throwing insults or jokes out, maybe you should instead focus more on asking me questions, then trying to belittle me. I dont come here often cause of the attitude that is all over this board. I looked at your profile, I have no clue who you are, and would not be impressed if I did.
    Oh about the backstage, hmmm I will let you back when I come to your town :)

10. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    And you thought joking wasn't allowed on this forum!:D

Though you might consider that 99% of the people who see your ad for slap bass lessons have never heard of you or any of the bands you list playing with. If you take your time and contribute to the discussions, it probably will help your teaching career in the long run.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for quick and easy acess to a student body while you are in town, maybe your apprach is best. Good luck!

11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I don't know if you realize but we have dozens of professional teachers that show up on this forum, who play in recognized symphonies and bands and they contribute an awful lot to the forum. These guys have the graciousness of never really soliciting their services. OTOH, you're the first I've ever seen to show up here, unknown to the rest of us forum readers and start soliciting your services. Sorry, but it's really odd.

Teachers typically fill out their profiles and say that they're available for lessons there. Once they've done that, they start contributing to the discussion and their skills comes through what they have to say and offer. I think that's how they typically get students on this forum - once they're a recognized and trusted name. Otherwise, you're just another random name. I'd rather go to someone who I've conversed with several times and has proven to me they know what they're talking about.

Why should I bother asking you questions when you don't answer anything that's already been posed on this forum. What have you got to offer? I'm not going to just listen to based on what you're written as a psuedo-bio on yourself.

Well don't get mad at us if we don't recognized you for the master you're supposedly are. Some of us have no idea who the heck any of those names you dropped.

And one more thing, up until recently, this DB forum has been mostly frequented by Jazz and Classical players. The RAB thing is pretty much new. Slap players I guess don't get alot of slack in those circles as they're usually seen as "sloppy" in most cases. So pardon us for our skepticism.

BTW: You might want to try www.rockabillybass.com also. The peanut gallery over there is probably alot less snarky. :)

12. Memphisevil

Memphisevil

Jun 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hey Hdiddy,
    You look like a complete fool! I don't usually come to this forum because of people like you. You slam Matt for trying to come on here and help some folks out at the same time making a few bucks as a musician. I have heard of all the bands mentioned. Maybe if you weren't so closed minded, you would have too! Here's to you! fukyou.gif

13. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    +1

It seems "Bluegrass & Rockabilly [DB] NEW!" doesn't mix well with Talkcrap.com OLD!

14. screamkingart

screamkingart

Apr 27, 2006
    agreed! its a shame actually. :scowl:

I will only help people here with specific questions :)

15. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Oh yeah, real mature.

I slam Matt because it's against the Commercial User Agreement to spam everybody with teaching ads. He is a teacher, and teaching is a music-related business. His ad is non-solicited.

I prefer my TB to be ad free, and not have random people posting their "Teacher Availble" ad everywhere I turn. As for you guys, you're entitled to you opinion, but be careful with flipping people off because I would interpret that as being against the rules as well (see CUP#1 & 2).

I'm surprised the mods haven't intervened by now.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This thread is spam, pure and simple. The replies slamming PUFFY were inappropriate - the forum rules specifically prohibit this kind of thing. If you don't like the rules, take it up with Paul.

For those of you who seem to be having trouble with your attitudes and/or blood pressure, here's a cute kitten picture:

cute-kitten.jpg

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.