Slap bass on the Lakland 55-01: the volume pot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I've run some searches on this and came up with zilch.

When I play aggressive slap-style funk on my 55-01, I can easily turn the volume knob with my flying pinky. Uncool when your volume drops off mid-song.

Is is my technique or can I find a volume knob with some resistnace to it so it won't move so easily.

I'm thinking of playing with the knob completely removed to avoid contact. Drastic, yes. Being very careful of technique , is of course, what I;m trying to do first. But sometimes, when you're moving fast... HELP!
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's gotta be your technique as you must be slapping below the neck line! In general, most slapping is done at the base of the neck which is pretty far away from any knobs! Now there are quite a few slappers that slap down further so don't feel bad. You may have to adjust your technique or use a different bass when slapping.
  3. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    +1 on what's already been said.

If you see any videos or live performances of any of the great slappers (Larry Graham, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, and more) you'll see that their slapping hands are up near where the body meets the neck - nowhere near the controls. Are you slapping near the bridge?
  4. No, not at all, but as I stretch my hand out and get somewhat aggressive, my pinky finger tends to glance against the volume pot. The pot itself is very easy to move, offerring little or no internal resistance, as the tone pots do. So a little glance with a pinky is all it takes to move it. If it had some resistance to it, it wouldnt happen.

I'll keep vigilant on technique keeping my hand in a fist position, but I sure would like to replace it with a pot that is harder to turn and of equal or greater quality. So if I do stretch out my hand after a few mintues of nailing 16th notes, IT don't happen. For now, the knob has been removed. Not too purdy.

Yeah, I;ve got my old T40 which is almost built for slap, but I'm using the 5 string more and more ( and I do like the Lakland).

THNX much for your replies.