Slap bass pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Jun 23, 2021.

1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Hello hive mind.
    So here's what I'm thinking:
    The two features usually adjusted for slap are EQ and compression. They are adjusted to extreme settings, miles away from normal fingerstyle settings.

Does anyone make a pedal that incorporates both, so that you can engage a slap setting with a single footswitch? I'm aware that a lot of amps have a switchable EQ and Compression, but those are on separate footswitches and the compression is an on/off, meaning you have to set it up for slap and have no compression on your normal sound.

I'm also aware of various preamp pedals, but these tend to have compression limited to single control, if they have it at all.

I'm thinking of a compact-format pedal with (preferably) a graphic EQ and a full featured compressor (attack and release controls etc.).

Does such a thing exist? The closest I've seen are the JHS Pulp'n'Peel v3, which is a compressor pedal with a tilt EQ; and the J. Rockett pedals I.Q. Compressor (which is a graphic EQ and compressor, although I`m not entirely sure how it works; it seems to compress only the EQ`d frequencies.)

What else is out there? Surely it would be nice to switch straight to slap without having to adjust five different knobs and two footswitches mid-song?

Peace,
    SoundSupport

Killing Floor likes this.
  2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Source Audio EQ2. Might get you what you want.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  3. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Would that not also apply to a compact pedal compressor? Or are you asking for a compact pedal that also has at least two presets so you can footswitch between different compression settings?

A programmable multi-effects pedal would give you the foot control you want when performing, and there are some small ones with only two or three buttons, but I've never tried one with bass.

soundsupport1 likes this.
  4. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    I'm asking for a separate pedal with compression and EQ that can be engaged simultaneously with one footswitch, so that I can quickly go to a slap setting mid-song if needs be.

A small multieffect is a good thought, when I started the multieffects units were the same size as an amp!

Peace,
    SoundSupport

5. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    MXR Thump

6. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    dont see a compressor on there...

peace,
    SoundSupport

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Pulp & Peel won't get you there, it has a tilt EQ and not a mid scoop EQ....plus the compressor is not squishy.

Don't know any single pedal that will get you there, but I know the PNP won't.

soundsupport1 likes this.
  8. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    The TC Electronic Spectracomp is probably the closest thing you'll find. It's pretty much a "program and forget" kind of pedal, so you wouldn't be able to make any adjustments on the fly, but there are a lot of Toneprints available that are specifically designed to get a better slap sound and you can use the editing software to make your own if you don't like the available ones.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good call. The SpectraDrive would also be a good option as you can do the same compression Toneprints, plus have an onboard EQ.

JC Nelson and DennyOnBass like this.
  10. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    And a "good call" back, because I had totally forgotten about the SpectraDrive.

Need Gigs, Bass4Brkfast and mmbongo like this.
  11. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I mean, since most viable solutions above include digital pedals with presets, might as well throw a Zoom/Boss/Helix multifx into the mix. The $ difference isn't all that big with the basic models.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I've always considered the Boss LMB-3 as a "slap" pedal. Compression and a smiley EQ in one pedal.

13. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Commercial User

Put you favorite compressor pedal and eq pedal in a separate chain and get an switching pedal so you can switch th whole chain on and off.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I agree with the Pulp'N'Peel. It's also got the win of being very easy to dial in the compression without squishing. The EQ isn't too dramatic so that's a bonus. Plus there is an XLR with a really clean signal so it can be used as a DI.

The Source EQ2 also has a benefit in that you can manage peaks and other functions. I really like mine but I get that not everyone wants to invest the time to dial it in. But there is a great library of patches online and a string community of users on TB.

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    This is where I don't understand why more people aren't using multi-effects devices, now that the quality is as good as it is. You can set up a single patch that makes you sound like Geddy Lee through an SVT and an 810 and another patch that makes you sound like Marcus Miller, with completely different setting for compression, EQ, and even amp or cab modeling if you want. One click from one to the other. By the way, one power cord and one additional patch cable versus a bass with no effects at all. What's not to like.

I have a Zoom B3n, which is quite good apart from the pitch shifting effects. Especially for the price. I think the Line6 HX Stomp is the gold standard right now.

SteveCS, Eikari and Wasnex like this.
  16. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    what?

17. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    You know, I'd totally forgotten about this pedal. Good shout. Is the 'enhance' control like the 'enhance' control that Eden amps use?

Peace,
    SoundSupport

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'm sure the EQ curves are different, but same general concept.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    CAL Funkulator Or CAL Grizzly which has a Funkulator built in.

Benko, HolmeBass, smeet and 2 others like this.
  20. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Back atcha....

Need Gigs likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021