1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap Bass Setup

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Snerek, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    how should your bass be 'setup' for slap technique?

i have a schecter 5 string with a good finger style setup, and i'm just recently getting into slap stylings.

2. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    anyone??

3. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    -low gauge strings (.40-I'll reccomand ernie ball) and get a new pair, to get the slap tone
    -low action
    maybe you should ask this in the luthier's forum...
    good luck

4. dunnno but on raising the action a little bit higher at the bridge i was able to get better slap sound and playability/bounce

5. I'd recommend raising your action as well. If you don't, you'll fret-out when slapping notes above the 5th fret. And, for most people, including myself, it's harder to get good tone and bouncy articulation from a string that's too close to the board. You'll run into this more when slapping and popping the d and g strings.

Another reason why some players have one bass for slap. I don't like carrying two basses around so I compromise and go slightly higher for those occasions/songs....

Have fun

Jimbob

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Here's another personal tip I recently discovered of playing slap for years the "wrong" way: you don't need to slap and pop hard. Turn your amp up and let the amp/EQ do the work, focusing on playing with an accurate, even, and consistent attack. You really don't need to be pounding the hell out of the bass.

7. ++1 !! Awesome tip!!!! I too have been guilty of going too hard, which, will make low action especially difficult to articulate. And lightening-up will automatically tend to make you relax your wrist for better funky bounce... .

Of course, I'm not sure we can convince the Johnson Brothers of that...:p

jimbob

8. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    i've been working very hard on soft attack!! its a great challenge but so sweet and phat tone when you get it!

thanks for the tips ya'll!

9. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    what are some good strings for slap bass?

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm liking the LaBella SuperSteps
    also like the Markley Blue Steels

11. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Great tip. I'm guilty of this! I've been practicing with an amp more and more and it is paying off.