Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap bass thumb motion

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by virtualsamana, Dec 15, 2003.

1. virtualsamana

virtualsamana

Dec 4, 2003
    Confused on how to hit the strings. So far I've heard two methods:

1. Move thumb in downward motion hitting target string then resting thumb on string below target.

2. Hit string dead on so thumb bounces off target string.

Are both methods acceptable? Is one better than the other?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1) Is usually more widely used for double-thumping

2) The "conventional" slap technique

both are legit, I use them as described above.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    both are acceptable... but... your thinking to much about it...

just sit in front of the TV for hrs and slap that string until you get the right bounce.

repetition is the best teacher!! !! !! !! !!

4. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    well what if your repeating something wrong? :D

5. Both are "acceptable"! But do whatever feels right to YOU! I actually slap both ways, and I find I can get different grooves from each technique. Some days, i find it easier to slap one way over the other.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    BAD idea, the tv is a distraction and doesnt allow you to focus 100% on what you are doing. You should always practice in a room thats conductive to study and has minimal distractions.

Also the best teacher is an actual teacher not repetition.

Much Love

Mama Cass :bassist:

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    agreed! although my take on tech in general is that it needs to be natural not formulaic, as the bass is an extention of your body. i'm not saying dont practice mindfully... you should and need to.

1. cassanova, let me ask you this. when you where taught a scale did you know it by heart after the first time you played it? or did you repeat the scale over and over and over and over again until you did know it?

2. granted tv is a distraction... but how many distractions do you find on stage, during practice, etc. prepare yourself for whatever. drop the science and open your soul. (sorry so cheesy)

the idea of mindlessly repeating a practice (once learned properly) is to multi task when playing, i.e. singing, stomping an effect, not looking at ones fretboard when playing, listening to your band!

cass, i do in fact agree with you, but in my mind playing and practicing shouldn't be hard work or a tedious activity it should be fun and exciting.

virtual- have fun playing, if that means sit in a closet with you bass teacher, ok. or if you learn better otherwise great. i say do a little of both and report back.

;)

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    judging from your first post-
    i think you know how to do this tech, now just refine your skill...

9. I read an interview with the great classical guitarist Andre Segovia, who said that he practiced in front of the television for hours every day.

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

awww you my buddy:D

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    B.U.L.L.S.H.!.T.

Even if it were true, it's definitely not the right way to practice. And I bet a million $ that Segovia did not become what we was by practicing in front of the TV.

OK, well, he may have practiced in front of it, but it was definitely not running while he practiced. ;)

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    before this gets out of hand let me state that the tv method is a good practice tool but not to replace conventional methods of practice, use it in addition to whatever you do now. whats the worst that can happen...????

ok, can we all be freinds again?

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey, I didn't want it to come over as hostile or anything, but you simply can't learn effectively in front of a distracting TV.

I only mean good, I did my time of TV noodling (which is what it really is) and I wish I used it more wisely.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been slapping since 1975 when I first learned the technique. First off, I don't think that there is one correct technique. You should use whatever works for you. Different players use different techniques.

I typically use a blend of your #1 and #2 methods for most passages, grooves, and riffs. If I'm playing a particularly fast / complicated / syncopated pattern, I'll use method #2. Just my 2 cents, as an old fart here.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The TV thing.

You should never try to learn anything in front of it.

That said, if you want to practice a routine you have down a million times, doing it in front of the TV is one of many places you can mindlessly practice things you have already learned.

My thoughts, I know a lot of great players who do the same. If it is not 100% proper, so be it.