Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeftSide, Aug 20, 2005.

1. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    I apologize if this has been overdone, but which bass will give me that slap bass tone(as in incubus' fungus amongus)? Or if its not the bass, how do i get it?

2. Search function.... Search function....

Although you'll probably get 45062349057964 different opinions.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well when I do slap (5% of the time) I use my 5er with the avtice pups, I roll the low end on it half way down along with the treble, I keep the blend maxed out, gives it some edge, and thats it.

To much low end for slap will lose your definition, to much high end will make your ears bleed when you pop your strings.

-Rob

4. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Definitely gonna have to say Warwick.

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dirk Lance played a Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 string with Seymour Duncan pickups, Eden amps and cabs. Don't bother trying to cop his tone, approximate as best you can and then focus on tightening up your slap chops. It'll get you the rest of the way.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Any bass with a bridge pickup (especially Fender Jazz Basses and clones, Stingrays, and yes, most Warwicks), set up with low action and fresh heavy guage stainless steel strings. Use a compressor (preferably dual-band such as a Rane DC24) and add some broadband bass boost, and a narrower high boost around 4kHz (a sadowsky outboard pre does this VERY well).

If it still doesn't sound good, then you've got technique issues. ;)

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    MTD 535 Hi-Fi slap from hell.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yup, I'd go along with a Jazz bass for slap (but my Stingray's pretty close, and my Status... :D) and I'd agree on the stainless steel strings, although some nickels aren't bad either. Not so sure they need to be heavy gauge, though. I use mediums 45 to 105 and these slap just fine. Mark King slaps like a demon on 30 to 90 gauge strings. Compression does help even out some of the bigger transients a bit. EQ comments spot on - either bass and treble boost, or scoop the mids, pretty much the same thing. The pull bright on my J-Retro is at the perfect frequency for slap treble boost, and I roll off the mids at about 1k.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thats right! warwicks amazing slap tone! :)

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Peavey Cirrus. Quintessential modern slap bass.

11. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I think Dirk played one of those fender PJ something (white with the black headstock and active preamp... i think they were made in japan in the early 90's) on fungus... it shows a picture on the liner notes of the CD

12. Warwick SSII, Cirrus, Spector, MTD. Those stand out as slapper basses. I've heard them all slapped, and they sound pretty similar as far as that goes, and all record really well. Gotta have active pickups. I actually like to make sort of an "N" shape with the eq and it works well. Not too much muddiness in the lows, real growly.

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I didn't neccesarily mean HEAVY ... .45-.105s work great especially if they are hex core. You just don't want a super flexible string IME.