Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Bass Video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking of buying the Slap Bass DVD from Ed Friedland? Has anyone tried it and is it a good resource to teach myself the techniques to slap/pop? I have tried to learn it on my own w/ no success. Also, should the string be a certain height above the fretboard to acheive the correct sound.

2. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Yep, I've got it. I've only done a few first chapters, slap, pop, hammer on, and pull offs, but I can say that it's a very good one. Very clear, both the right hand technique and the left hand technique are shown at the same time and EF explains everything very clearly.

The action of my bass (Fender Jazz) is rather high, and at least for my self it works well. :bassist:

3. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Should the action on the bass be high? My bass is setup rather low and I was wondering if that might be causing me to have problems getting the slap sound out of my bass.

4. The lower it is, the easier it is.

5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've got it and I think it's a very good way to begin learning slap. It doesn't cover everything (what could?) but it's a good start.