Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by spidersbass, Nov 29, 2004.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    alright, so i'm tired of playing in the school orchestra... i wanna learn how to slap like in those rockabilly/phycobilly bands... question is, how do you slap like that??? :confused:

2. BluesBass

BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    Ther are a couple of good videos out there. Lee Rockers Rockabilly Slap Bass, also The Ungentle art of Slap Bass. Also an excellent web site, www.rockabillybass.com/
    But to over-simplify things you need to raise the action on your strings so that you can get your fingertips under them to pull up then let the string slap back on the fingerboard. There is alot more to it with double & tripple slaps but it's alot of fun. I have my strings raised to about 8-11 cm (gdae)
    Good Luck.

Neil

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    :eek:

That's more than 4 inches!!!!!

4. BluesBass

BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    OOPs, should have been mm's

5. what a man!!

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i tried it today, damn, i didn't know it was that easy, you'd think it'd be harder, guess not. that bass needs new strings though, they suck. meh

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sez you. You must have Rockabilly Hands, because when I try it, I sound like spit with a capital SH.

8. You're just too sensitive Darling.

9. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Marcus, you know you're not meant to use the bow, right?

C'mon, a slap solo would be great in a Gypsy Pacific song.

Kevin.

10. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    This is the way I learned how to slap:

You want to slap with your middle and ring finger, partly because it's nice to have a "fresh" finger involved. The string will strick your fingers at an angle, according to the angle made between your finger tips.

Lean the bass slightly away from you. You may squeeze the bass between your legs and hold it tight enough than you can lean it forward and have it steady.

Pull your hand slightly to the left of your fingerboard as you slap. If you wish to do a triple slap, hit down your hand (not too hard!) down on the fingerboard in the position you were in right after you drew your hand outwards to slap the string. This will be about inbetween where your thumb joins your hand and your wrist. This is the second slap, if done correctly you will hear the string hit the fingerboard cleanly. As you pull your hand back farther to prepare for the next note, slap your hand down again. Then position your fingers for another slap, and repeat. It takes a little while to get this smooth. You have to be careful not to 'slam' your hand down too hard. The first day I learned it I practiced it a lot and ended up with bruising between my wrist and thumb. I also had some weird nerve things going on after that, so I stopped practicing it for a while. A nice catchy lick is D string open, D string 3rd fret, G string open. The first two notes are triple slapped and the last note is double slapped.

Hope this helps you out!

Bonnie

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I dunno...I just feel like a total lummox when I try it. I've never practiced enough to feel comfortable slapping.

BTW, Kevin, could you re-send your mailing address to me? I've got some CDs for you.

12. Where can I get onea them double basses with frets on 'em? :rolleyes:

13. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Do they actually make DBs with frets? I've never seen one. (But that doesn't mean anything!!)

I have the side of the neck marked with scotch tape up to the 14th "fret". :cool: It isn't very visible, but it's a great aid for having to start up the neck, or make large jumps.

I used a tuner to tune all 4 strings according to perfect 440, and then placed the tape according to the perfect pitch on the E string. I find the position varies on the strings. For some reason even when the E and A strings are perfectly in tune, the position for an F and a Bb are not the same, the Bb is a slightly lower position. I assume this has to do with the gauge of the strings.

Bonnie

14. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Man, I hope your bridge doesn't get bumped.

15. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Unfortunately, the bridge has been bumped, due to travelling with it packed in the 'belly' of our bus along with all our other instruments.

I'm not sure entirely what you're saying though. Are you saying that getting the bridge bumped in the future will worsen the condition, or are you indicating that may have been what caused it :confused:

If it could have been the bridge getting bumped that would do this, how exactly would it caused it? (I'm just curious, I'm not well versed with this at all).

Bonnie

16. BluesBass

BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    I think what he means is if your Bridge gets bumped/moved then the tape markings will all be off.

Neil

17. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Ahh, I see.

I try to keep the bridge in the same position all the time, it has been knocked out of position once or twice.

I've had the first 3 positions marked out for as long as I've had it, and the notes haven't changed drastically. When the bass was hauled in a trailer the bridge even got knocked out a few times. I will keep the bridge position in mind though. I'm trying to rely on them less, but I'm still not used to the upper neck positions.

Bonnie

18. You're the one who used the word FRET my dear.....No there are no DB's with frets, which was exactly my point.
    Sorry, one of my hobbies is running around TBDB finding wrong terms used in the world of DB's. :D

19. I know you are getting enough steam as it is but learning technique will be a far greater ally to you than frets. You could even play with your eyes closed.

20. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I think I play too much flatpicking, I can't stop thinking of there being frets on the thing! That slipped by me, as I was trying not to use that word in that post. lol.

What do you mean by getting 'enough steam'? I ought to learn to play entirely without markings? Probably a good idea...I haven't been serious about bass except in the past three days or so (I think I joined yesterday?).
    It was a lip injury that caused me to look this forum up. The power went out and I ended up running into my brother's head in the dark, and made it cut up and swollen. I haven't been able to put my regular practice in on trumpet, and I was getting awfully bored. Good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie