Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Tony Kanal

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Flea

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. The guy from Fishbone (Sorry I don't know his name)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Danny Bonaduce

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How do you play slap bass. Because I have no idea because I haven't taken formal lessons.

2. Bassguy_123

Bassguy_123

Jan 26, 2001
    All u do is smack the strings like you were slapping ur wife. Backhand makes a different noise than fronthand does.

Just Jockin HAHAHAHAhahaha........

Anyway you stick ur thumb up as if your giving someone a thumbs up (tuck your fingers into a position where there not gonna touch the strings when you slap the string) and then you bring your thumb down onto the string (make sure your thumb is facing toward the head of the bass). and thats about as good as i can explain. Anyway you can goto www.Ibanez.com then goto there bass section and while its loading it shows a guys hand slapping. just mimick the mans hand, it takes practice but you'll get it.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    In no particular order and from a purely technical standpoint:

Mark King
    Marcus Miller
    Victor Wooten
    Stuart Hamm
    Jonas Hellborg

IMHO. There's somebody I'm forgetting...

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Juan Nelson.

What a silly topic, BTW. I thought we've been through all these "who's the best" threads by now...

5. Yea, we've been through this stuff, and we'll keep going through it until Danny B gets the RESPECT he deserves !!! (LOL )

Later.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    What a silly topic,

I couldn't agree more my good man. I couldn't agree more...

7. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    flea of course... what about p-nut, and les claypool?

anyway, i think the way I slap (and pluck, for that matter) is to take your right hand, give the thumbs up sign, and curl your four other fingers kind of like a one would picture a dog's paw. It's basically all in the wrist. Slap your thumb against whatever string (usually A or E). Make sure you hit it with the side of the thumb, about as far down as the knuckle bends. Do it fast, and obviously, dont keep it there, or else the string won't sound. usually, a slap is followed by a pluck, which is basically grabbing underneath a higher string (generally D or G), and pulling it upwards, so it makes a "pop" noise. I don't even know if this is the standard way to do it, cause i kind of taught myself, but it seems to work. i've been practicing this style for about four months, for a few hours a day, everyday, and i'm able to play very rapidly and accurately. Eventually, you'll develop a callous.. or callus... depending on how its spelled... whatever part of your thumb is hitting the string. It can make your thumb kind of raw and tender at first, but if you work at it a lot, your thumb will get progressively more and more durable.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if you really want an answer to this question, I think you would be better off looking in "Technique" where there have been many threads about slapping and how to do it.

I would suggest that Big Wheel moves this to "Technique" where you will find many similar questions.

Oh and if possible remove the poll - I don't see how this helps answer the question asked.

9. i, myself prefer to slap with my other four fingers slightly bent so they do hit the string, this means that you can dso loads of other stuff on the lower strings like muting and hammers on etc.
    you basically make your thumb bounce off the strings unless you want a sort of muted slap sound.

develop your own techniques of how to slap because as long as it sounds like a slap, does it matter what your doing?

10. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Where the hell is Les Claypool in the polls???!!!!

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, This is enough. even charity has a limit.

Thread closed.

Will C.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.