Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap bass

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by NOIDONT, Jun 9, 2001.

1. NOIDONT

NOIDONT

Jun 9, 2001
    England
    sorry, i might seem a bit dim, but what is slap bass and how is it performed. i've heard a lot about it but cant get straight answers
    thanx

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Slapping is a technique where you hit the string with your thumb and than snap it with a finger. The sound is very percussive and works especially well for funk.

For a basic lesson check out my lesson page at www.michaeldimin.com with audio

Mike

3. mike,

in response to the last post about slapping i am havin trouble slappiing and poping and i went to that site and all i did is get confused i have only been playing 4 or 5 months now. it said something like hitting the string with your thumb then your finger and thats what confused me. everytime i see someone slap its just there thumb any advice to clear this up or somewere else that says how to slap.

4. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Well, you usually don't pop on the same string you are slapping.. you can, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. Try slapping a note with your thumb, then pop(get your index finger or middle finger under the string, then pull it up away from the fretboard and let go .. POP! :D ) a note on a different string. Try doing octives .. eg slap the 5th fret on your E string with your thumb, then pop the 7th fret on the D with your index finger. Also, you might want to go over to activebass.com there are plenty of online slap lessons from beginner to advanced. I hope this helps.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Thanks for the input

Mike

6. NOIDONT

NOIDONT

Jun 9, 2001
    England
    hey guys, thanx for the help, i knew this would be the place to come

7. Thanks for the help everyone i went there and i'm doing alot better. i'm just slapping i'm not really poping but i'll get into that later and its easy well again thanks everyone