1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by cbjacobs, Jun 13, 2007.

1. cbjacobs

cbjacobs

May 6, 2007
    Keene, NH
    Is there a book or DVD that shows how to do bluegrass style slap bass; Techic and string choices are of interest to me.

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
  3. dmperry24

dmperry24

Dec 11, 2006
    Stamford, CT
    Marshall Wilborn has a pretty good videotape (no DVD) for sale here. He teaches some solos and the very basics. His style is very relaxed. The Rubin tape mentioned earlier is about the best for all slap bass training. Rubin works hard to get his slap bass sound, but he covers a lot of territory in about 40 minutes.

4. +1

got mine last week, even though I had already figured out a great deal of it on my own (been playing seriously and gigging for about a year). I don't regret the purchase one bit. BUY ONE!

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority”

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania

Pete Turland actually has his bass strung up with 4 different types of strings on his DVD. It's also an all around good lesson on the basics.

http://www.learnrootsmusic.com/

6. dmperry24

dmperry24

Dec 11, 2006
    Stamford, CT
    Yeah, the Turland DVD is only a very, very slight notch below the Rubin DVD. He covers a lot of slapping techniques in about 30-40 minutes. If you really want to learn slap bass the Rubin DVD and this DVD are the ones to have. The Wilborne tape is strictly for Bluegrassers, and it is more beginner material, but it does cover making solos in slap bass style.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021