Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap bass??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tommo, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Im desperate to learn slap bass(it sounds so cool) but just cant do it. Ive been told to use the back of the pick, but this isnt working! Can anyone give me any easy-to-learn tips?
    Thanxs
    Tommo::bassist:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You use your thumb to strike the string, then you can use your fingers to "pop" off a string, basically plucking hard from underneath the string.

do a search, this has been discussed a billion times I'm sure.

try to get a teacher, they will show you everything you want to know.

3. nice one! ive got a techer but hes a guitar player and says he cant do it!:meh:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmm...does your guitarist teacher play in a band? if so then ask him if the bassist in his band would show you a thing or two, or better yet give you lessons, definatly try and find a bassist for a teacher, but I guess sometimes you gotta just take what you can get.

5. he finished with his band before i had him:mad: but hes the only teacher i can get at the momement, hes still good though:)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, He should still know the bassist, even if you don't get lessons from the bassist, he could at least SHOW you how to slap, cause no matter how much people can TELL you about it, the best way to learn is to have it shown to you.

7. :bassist:

This little dud here is slapping. Put down your pick, i put mine in the bin but thats a personal choice.

now the knuckle of you thumb is you contact point and you bring that down on the string on the end of the fretboard. rotate your wrist back and forth, bouncing your thumb off the string so not to mute the sound. some guitarist do this thing where they try and rotate their thumb back and forward. this works for real basic stuff but don't even bother. see that little thumbs up sign, thats how you're hand should look, but with your index hanging out 4 popping. watch some other dudes slap and see how they do it.

Just get out the what hits? video by the chilis, theres a solo right at the end which is a good indication.

Learn some simple riffs like backwards (rhcp) move on to take the power back (ratm) back to some chilis with power of equality or stone cold bush to get you're speed up then you're ready for the awakening by les claypool of primus. you find it on the rhinoplasty version of tommy the cat - easier then it sounds but very fun

that should get you well on your way. at the end of the day you'll be ready for love games and hot water by level 42.

These are your stepping stones, so start stepping and have fun.

PS mark king is the man, download some interviews of winmx or what evers good these day, there's one called slapping with the king which is actually instructions on how to play and for a drummer, he knows his ****.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh no he's not!! :spit:
    If you right click on the icon and then hit "properties" - you get :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/guitarist.gif

He is a guitariststrumming with a pick!! :mad:

9. Thanx a lot! Ive given it a go and can nearly do it, it gives me something to practice

:D

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Awakening is NOT a slap song...there is some slap in it, but the general focus of it is Harmonics....Learn tommy the cat maybe, thats all slap and muting.

11. Not for a beginner! Tommy the cat isnt that hard but its pretty damn hard if ur just starting out. Id go with The Neville Brothers or RHCP for beginner slap, then upgrade to Primus and such when your a bit better.

12. Hi Tommo,

An easy song to start slap is "Higher Ground" from RHCP.

The riff is simple enough.

BTW I'd be weary of a bass teacher that don't know how to slap... In the small shop where I'm taking my bass lessons all the guitar teachers know how to slap as well...

Some like slap others don't but I'd say that any half competent bassists KNOWS how to slap... Whether they are virtuoso of it is another matter.

I'd say get another theacher (a REAL bassist)!

13. What album is that on? People say its got a good bass line, ill try get it:D

14. Mother's Milk.

15. It's on the album "What Hits" the first song.

Have fun!

16. I looked at the tab for the song and it says its not slap! So does this song have slap in it or not? Cos i got the album and sounds like slap but i cant pick out the right notes:bawl: Do you know of any other tabs?
    Thanx a lot Tommo:D

17. I couldnt find that album:confused: So i got Mothers milk instead. Thanx anyway:D