Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap! best strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LessWooten, Mar 22, 2003.

1. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    I use Elixers on my 5 string and they sound great but i cant seem to get that great slap sound like flea or dirk lance or claypool. im thinkin its the strings... maybe not?:confused:

2. Nope, try boosting your treble up some. And Claypool's main 4 strings is rather dull sounding when he isn't slapping so it may be you or somthing............:oops:

3. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    thats a very half-assed solution, boosting up treble just makes finger movement and string to fret clang more present. The key to good slap EQ is in the mid's, and i can play 100 different ways im still going to sound relatively the same. Less Claypool uses Carl Thompsons which sound great slapped or fingered but are verrry expensive, i wanna know if anyone uses strings that sound realy great for slapping?

4. First off it is Les one S his name is Lesley Les for short, but anyways he has spent quite a lot of money for amps cabs and other doodads that give him sound....as for the strings stainless strings are best for slap very bright elixirs get dull after a while. Try some DR highbeams and Lo-riders

And if you were wondering Claypool uses Carl Thompson strings, Which are nickle plated steels with a hex core if that helps at all

5. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    Yes the second s in my screen name is for stanley clark, i probly should have capitalized it and who makes the highbeams?

6. DR strings

7. get d'addario chromes. they're ribbonwounds. i love 'em, and tell everyone to get them, regardless of what they're asking for. they sound great for slap IMO, and i swear by them.
    also, you're not gonna get those dudes' sound with strings alone. there's a lot o' factors, man.

8. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    yea i tought about the D'addarios. ill have to go down to the music store and ply some, and yeas i ealize they have rack ger and stuff ,and im looking into compressorsand stuff like that. good input

9. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    It's strange, but I got a set of flats, I think stainless steel TIs for my Bday, and the were actually bright! Matter of fact, they still are pretty spanky! Is that crazy or what? They really sound great for slap, but when I go up high they seem to get way mellow for really cool, jazzy sounding chords.:)

10. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    DR and/or La Bella strings, are a good choice to look into.

11. yea.....The DRs I've played slapped really nice, the Low Riders, Fat Beams and High Beams.

Right now I'm using Taperwound Smith strings, and they also slap really nice.