1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

slap delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimbo, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

so in an effort to optimize my pedalboard i was evaluating each pedal i use and how i use it. i'm basically trying to get rid of pedals i'm not using so much. so i came to my Echo Park and i realized that the only sound i really use and like is the slap-back delay.

so is there a pedal out there with short delay times or just a slap delay effect? would a reverb give me a similar feel?

-jimbo

2. If you're looking for a good delay pedal with short delay times you should check out Maxon's line of analog delays. They sound great. They would be a good deal more expensive than the Line Six, but if you know you'll use it, it's worth the investment. They have one with a full second of delay time for around $350, but for your needs you could get by nicely with one of their models with a third of a second maximum delay time. I think it's called the AD-80 or something close to that. Probably around $200. I personally prefer the ones with a little more time on them so you can do swirly longer echoish stuff.

3. I like the guyatone micro delay...
    [​IMG]
    its not too expensive, and a great sounding unit!

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    rocktron has a delay pedal that ONLY does slap back delay for like $50....the name escapes me though.....

5. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i'm going to take this one step further with a supplemental question...

i've also been experimenting to create kind of background noises that i'd like to use. so i'm wondering if there is something like a phrase sampler that will record a short bit of music and loop it. i guess i'm looking for a looper, but i don't want to overdub more loops, just something i can use to turn on my recorded bit of noise.

-jimbo

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    oh and i'll check out that guyatone pedal.

i also saw the rocktron, it's called the Short Timer, looks pretty neat. thanks

-jimbo

7. you don't have to overdub with a looper if you don't want to, but if otherwise what you might want is a delay pedal that has a "hold" function or an infinite repeat...i know the boss DD6 (or is it 5?) can do it, i had an old DOD digital delay that could hold for a few seconds...i still think you should check out a looper, because it sounds like you want to be able to turn on the loop anytime you want, which afaik you can't do with anything but a looper or some kkind of phrase sampler...