Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap dillema

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JonnyLentilbean, Jan 5, 2003.

1. i've been playing for about 5 years now, and i've really been getting into all of stanley clarke's projects and what-not.

i've gotten pretty efficient with my slapping, but it's the popping that i just can't do. i can never manage to hook that string hard enough to pop it.

i've been taking a different route, taking my thumb for a ride and using it and slapping on all 5 strings, slapping harder on the high strings to emulate the pop sound. it sounds incredible, but is there a real problem with doing it this way?

2. Slap_Thatb_Ass

Slap_Thatb_Ass

Mar 17, 2002
    Honestly popping isnt that hard. Pull the string with whatever finger you want and let it smack against the frets.

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    what bass r u using? perhaps u have thick strings and a far distance between strings and fretboard. try to lower your strings with the bridge. normally u dont need much force to pop them.
    generally any own style is never wrong but u should keep in mind:
    that it doesnt hurt and
    that the style your using is flexible and efficient.
    in ur case i could imagine that the slap speed suffers a lot under ur style. how fast can u play octave riffs? speeds about 120bpm (16nd) can be approached easily by classic slap style.
    furthermore the sound is different.
    but in the end its your decision. if u think ur fast enough, u can play it clearly and u like the sound, why not using it then?

hope this helps

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    try thinking of the whole slap/pop thing as a back and forth wrist rotation (as your thumb goes up and down) rather than individual fingers doing independent things. practice with octaves, slowly. keep your index finger in a hook position so that when your thumb comes back up from slapping the bottom note, the index pulls (pops) the top one with the skin to the side of your fingernail (closest to your thumb). if you try to pop with the end of your finger, it becomes much more tense, which causes problems. just try to get the wrist rotation down at a ridiculously slow tempo; if you start trying to do it too fast, you'll tense up, making it much more difficult to tackle the technique at fast tempos. hope that helps. good luck.

5. that's just my problem... all attempts have failed. my bloody fingers just won't catch the high strings when i move in for the pop.

i know i'm at a loss because using my thumb constantly doesn't let me catch the speed that a normal slap/pop would allow...

i play a 5-string, though i have large hands. distance isn't a problem.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You don't need a lot of movement to pop. Also, although pops require that you get your finger under the string a little bit, don't tense your fingers. If you keep your fingertip flexible rather than hooked into a claw, you'll get around much faster.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Check this out! It is a really great exercise for slapping. I wrote it for my lesson column in Bass Frontiers and his reprinted with their permission.

http://www.michaeldimin.com/5minslap.htm

Mike

8. that site is excellent. thanks.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Glad I could help. Please feel free to visit my "ask The Pro" forum here as well

Mike