Slap DVD/Video recommendations wanted.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cochise, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I can already play bass at an acceptable enough standard to be in 2 gigging bands and an acoustic duo. However I would like to learn to slap, and I really have no idea of the techniques involved other than the obvious. Does anyone have a particular favourite "teach yourself" DVD or video?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Slap Bass Program With Alexis Slarevski

3. +1000

The best of the best. The one and only one you will ever need
  4. That'll be the one then. Thanks people!
  5. bass samurai

bass samurai Guest

Jul 7, 2003
    I also like the DVD that Ed Friedland made.
  6. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Stu Hamm's DVD is what got me on my feet with slapping.
  7. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    I think they have that DVD and more at, not sure, but they have a good selection of books there
  8. That slap bass video is a great primer/intro to slapping. it will show you the basics.
    But i have to say the key is just to practice, practice some more, and then practice even more (use a metronome). As rudimentary as a thumb slap is or a finger pop, slapping didn't click for me until i got those basic techniques down pat, then i was able to segue into playing w/ time. Once the timing comes together w/ your techniques (your slap techniques have to be to the point where your not thinkin about it) then it gelled. Up until that point it sounded like me making clicking noises.
  9. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    I am currently learning from louise johnsons bass lesson video, he shows u 20 differant licks and is most of them are slap pop or thumping, I am more familiar with Flea's way of slap poping just attacking the bass with all your might, but i have always liked the 70's style sharp snappy slap poping and have been wanting to learn it for ages and this video really helped me
  10. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I second the Louis Johnson Volume 1 only. Volume 2 is like 10 years later, he's wearing hobo clothes, and it doesn't cover slapping much at all.

Volume 1 is very good for getting that traditional 70's slap technique down.

Personally, I don't like the way people were slappin and poppin in the 80's. It was less funk and more "Mark King" flash. I have the Flea Instructional video and it's got some good licks, but his technique is fairly limited musically.

11. I've used the search feature before to look up "best instructional videos" and this one by Slarevski is consistently touted as one of the best around. Might have to pick it up myself. :bassist:
  12. i too have got the ed friedland dvd and it is good.

was a flea dvd that got me started but that was more interesting than instructional i would say.
  13. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I've got the Ed Friedland DVD too, it's really good. It helped me quite a bit with triplets, but I just can't get the hang of left handed slap.
  14. I think the only music instruction video that I've ever owned was a Beaver Felton 'Slap Happy' VHS. Kinda old, though.
  15. I have just bought Hal Leonard's "Slap Bass The Ultimate Guide" It is very good and the man on the video teaches you some really good tips and exercises. I got it off of for 20 dollars. It is a DVD and comes with a little booklet that includes all of the exercises. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn how to play slap.

16. fish420

Apr 4, 2005
    I have been slapping for about 2 years now, and I've never read nor watched a video on slapping technique. I've pretty much taught myself, and I have been writing some really proffesional killer slapbass songs and rifts. It just has to come natural to the bassist i guess. Peace,
    ~Fish~ :bassist:
  17. FuzzGtp

Dec 28, 2002
    anywhere i can get a NTSC verisoin of this dvd?
  18. There is no DVD of "The Slap Bass Program" as of yet...just the VHS version (which is NTSC).
  19. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I have the Slap bass program and i dont like it.

I wish i bought stu hamms video.