slap endurance

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by granchulo82, May 30, 2001.

1. granchulo82

granchulo82 Guest

May 13, 2001
    Severn, MD
    i have a slight problem, i am a finger style player and have been asked to fill in for a band whose bassline are almost entirely slap and Drop D. i can play slap relatively well, imho, but have never played a 45 minute set slapping the whole time. basically i have to learn about 8 lines and be able to play two sets saturday and sunday. the lines themselves won't be all that hard, but playing that much slap seems a but daunting to me.

on the occasion that i do play slap i play with my bass (ibanez edb600) just below my waist with a "thumbs up" hand position thumb parrallel to strings, plucking with index and middle fingers. i was just wondering if there were any adjustments i could make to my strap or playing position to make it any easier to play slap. i don't know if any one else just starting to play slap has had this problem or not hopefully this helps more than just me.

thanks in advance...
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Might help to wear your bass a little higher and keep your thumb at a 45 degree angle relative to the strings. I know you probably want to avoid the nerd boy look, but I think your wrists will thank you. And keep some ice handy :)
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could do a lot of Benzedrine first....:D no I'm joking -drugs are bad m'kay? Stretch!!! That is the key to the long set! twist your hands and arms about forty minutes before each set to get them all loose and flexible like. Good luck at the gigs BTW.
  4. granchulo82

granchulo82 Guest

May 13, 2001
    Severn, MD
    thanks, i usually do try to do some stretching before every set, and i don't mind looking like a dork, better that than not be able to play

hopefully everything goes well the main reason i'm worried is because they're a three piece and the guitar cuts out a lot, letting the bass drive the verses, so hopefully i can nail those parts, then improvise the choruses.

i'll let you know how it goes, thanks again...
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    My recipe for slap endurance:

Low action, light strings, bass at chest/belly-height, RELAXED playing.

I slap with my right thumb pointing towards my left shoulder and tilt the bass a bit so that the thumb is at a 45 degree angle against the strings - just like Christopher said. Works great.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the only other thing I can think of is have the gain high and use a light touch. I find that if I set it too low I'm fighting for volume all night and my hands get fatigued and I still only gain marginal volume.
  7. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

I used to have the same problem,but I found that warming up is a great way to last longer. I just do some simple octave warm ups, going up and down the neck as fast as i can. Stretching is good too but try warming up for about 45min. around an hour before the gig.
  8. i would definatly wear the bass higher up so u get a better angle and can bend your arm more instead of having it hang all the way down.
    p.s. i love ibanez edb's