slap help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Jun 10, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    on a 5 strig bass does the b string sound good slap or a 7 string with a low f# does it sound good when slap
  2. well it's a matter of personal taste. And it depends on the bass. But yes, usually i like the way a B string sounds. I've never even heard an F# string.
  3. personally i think it depends on a few factors. The first being your technique, you may find that you have to alter the way in which you attack the B string, due to the amount of 'play' in all directions. If your B is very slack (depending on the type of bass) then you may not get very good results.

this can be rectified by experimenting with the force that your inflict while slapping, but you can pick it up quickly.

i like the sound my B gives when slapping, it's a very percussion sound, but that may be due to it's tightness.

problems that can be encountered are the pole pieces. If you have exposed pole pieces on your 5 then the B can make contact with pickup and you hear that metalic twang, but this again can be rectified by the adjustment of technique.

again i've never tried an F# but if i had a 7, which i think will be my next step, i'd rather change basses and play the slap on the 5, just because of neck proportions and the reach needed at the lower frets.

sorry if you know this already, but it may serve another well,

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    the reason why i ask about the b and low f3 was i think about droping the hig c on my c and like moving my string down and add a low f3 to be more metal but like i decide to keep my high c cause like i moving away from metal its to easy to play.
  5. somebody should move this thread to the General instruction section. and i've wonder how to you become a moderater? And about slaping the low F#, ask JT ;)
  6. you can actually tune a bass to different notes. I think the extra strings are a very nice utillity to have for slap but I would never go so crazy as to get a seven string! Thats just too much to have and thier impossible to note I'd rather have a six string.