1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slap help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrchief128, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mrchief128

mrchief128

Nov 28, 2006
    yeah, i know there's probably a billion threads on this but i have a more specific question...except my first question...its not specific...#1. what are some basic slap tips you got for me...i'm just starting...and yeah..tell me the basics #2 more specifically, how do i properly hit the 2nd 3rd and so on strings...i can hit the first one fine, but it's hard for me to accurately slap the others can i keep slapping other strings at the same time...did you get what i'm saying?

2. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    pop the D and G strings, slap the E and A

3. mattblissett

mattblissett

Jul 18, 2006
    also, play slowly. Its more about being accurate and minding how you mute the adjacent strings. Slap technique, to me, is more about the journey than the destination.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My only tip (addressing question #1) is that it helps if your bass isnt a piece of junk.

I could never get much slapping done when I first started out because I was using a badly set up "ghetto" bass with dead strings.

5. Matheau

Matheau

Nov 27, 2006
    It just takes practice. When I first started I could only get the E string right, but after some practice none of them were any real problem.

6. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Are you slapping vertically or horizontally? If you are doing it vertically, you should learn how to mute the strings you don't want to sound with the inside of your hand (think it's called the palm of the hand?) rather than trying not to hit them.
    I started out that way, but I would recommend the horizontal way. Try this link http://www.cyberschoolofbass.com/lesson6 (it might not be typed out right, try and work around with the spelling if it doesn't work). The excersise he does, the one with the octaves, is a good starting excersise.

7. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    What works for me is to keep my thumb exactly parallel to the string it is going to hit.

Ergonomically speaking, you will usually slap on E & A, and pop on D & G. BUT, don't limit yourself to that.

Slapping is also a bit of "smoke & mirrors", a lot of what you hear is done with your fretting hand, hammer-on/pull-off.

8. I don't know how far exactly you have got with it but i'll go right to basics. Also as there are two types of way that people seem to slap i'll explain the way I play. This is most comfortable for me. Don't worry about which ever way is more comfortable for you because neither technique is better or worse than the other. Some would say playing one way would be more 'correct' but to be honest the correct way is just the way that you find is comfortable. (Play my way though its better :D )

To get started I'm going to assume that you have your thumb going across the strings by the sounds of it you do as you said your hitting multiple strings.

Firstly for accuracy you want to hit the string with the joint of your finger. Start practicising just a random pattern that goes up and down strings. Play it slowly but gradually try to build up speed slowly. Slapping is not sometime that will come quickly it is just something that requires practise so don't worry if your not getting straight away.

Peoples thumb shapes do vary so this might be an issue as to how your going to be slapping. I use the joint of my thumb as it sticks out more there. But the real trick is not to be perfectly accurate with how your slapping, just slap the string your going to and with your left hand mute the rest of the strings. You'll find this technique will allow you to play more quickly without having to even think about accuracy.

You'll also notice over time your thumb will get fatter than your other thumb because you slap.

When slapping you need to make sure that you get your thumb to bounce of the string properly. Your thumb needs to bounce of the string after its hit it. Your thumb should only be in connection with the string for a very short time.

Also a very important thing is that you keep your hand pretty ridgid and keep your thumb and index locked in a pretty firm position. Then to execute the slap you twist your wrist to hit it quickly rather than moving your thumb itself.

Then when your thumb leaves the string use your index finger to pull the string and pop it. Remember your index finger should be rigid too.

With time you'll learn to loosen up your hand a bit but don't worry about that until you've laided down the basics.

Good luck :)