Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kboyd, Nov 20, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I have a slap problem. I am a very proficient fingerstyle player (fretted and fretless) but my slap style tends to be overplayed or too many notes per bar. I need to learn to slow things down enough to establish a slap groove like I do with fingerstyle. What am I doing wrong and what do you recommend for correction or what do you slappers recommend for getting in the groove.
    I am currently building a 4 string bass made of bubinga top, black limba body with bubinga and birdseye maple maple neck and a wenge fingerboard. A single wide aperture pickup in the sweetspot will be used with the Aguilar OB1 preamp. This bass should give the sound I am craving, but the coordination is just not coming along.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I have a slightly similar problem. A lot of the stuff I come up with is the fast punk/funk stuff. This sounds obvious but... slow down the tempo and work on the feel. One thing that will really help, dead notes. Get a percussive groove going and you'll be feelin' the funk like it ain't no thang... or something.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    ..just play it slower than usual..

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Try taking one of the fast exercises you've been working on and playing it at half tempo, with a really heavy swing to it. Make it groove, and you make it fun.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try slapping lines that you'd normally play fingerstyle. This will give you a better phrasing and it also frees you from that e minor pentatonic w/ open E rut.