Slap Improv Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Jan 13, 2006.

1. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Nice clip... thanks for posting
  2. doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
  3. That was pretty cool, very fluid technique.
  4. Warwick case? Oh wow, I never realised that before, here it says Warwick at the bottom of the case. :)

My bass is just one of those el cheapo Squier P-Basses. I put in active EMG pickups which made it sound billions times better, in combination with the great Elixir strings. But I'd trade it for that J-Bass slap sound any day. :(

I love your bass + turntables thing by the way. If you're into that bass duo sort of thing, check out Toast Machine ( which is bass and drums.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    putting the bass away at the end is classy. I won't say anything about the playing, since I don't think it was really meant to be taken all that critically, looks like you were just having some fun.
  6. Yeah, I know I wasn't really playing in any fixed meter, just sort of doodling some slap riffs. My rhythm wasn't fantastic, either.

However, if you have critiques, they'd be most welcome!
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, that was really it. It didn't sound like you were grooving, or intent to groove. More like "here's a little doodle I've got, and here's another one" Some of them were executed better than others, some of them were more interesting than others(imo). All in all, nothing really, since it's fun to doodle around.
  8. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    woa, nice vid man, how long have you been playing?
    everyone on this forum seems to be better than me, lol, slap amazes me all the time simply becuase i cant do it.
  9. Yes! Just sort a slap trick show off. None of the riffs were preplanned (hence 'improv'), and I wasn't really trying to groove, but even if I was my grooving probably wouldn't be all that great. I got a bad start in bass because I was just trying to play bass solos rather than getting a good foundation in playing in the pocket. So if I could give any advice to people starting out on bass it'd be to play basslines, and to play with the same rhythmic presence and focus as a good drummer has. I didn't realize how important to an ensemble the rhythmic aspect of bass is until farther into my bass studies.

However, I've only been playing bass for no more than 4 years, so I think there is still time to woodshed and grow.

@ Frostytoaster2: Don't get me wrong, slap is definitely cool, but don't spend all your time doing it. I started playing bass because of slap bass, but I found that learning to play fingered bass really well was more useful because it fit into many more musical contexts easier than slapping. Lately I've been more attracted to that nasal Jaco fingerstyle bass more than slap, but my bass tone is a bit limited in that department. :(

Any suggestions for my next bass? Something in the $450-700 range would be a good improvement. And definitely a J-Bass, something that I can turn the bridge pickup up on. ;)

I played on a Lakland (or at least I think it was, I forgot to check) at the local music store that was so amazing to play on. Everything I played sounded better. But Laklands are beyond my budget.
  10. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    I'd say your off to a great start...Keep it up!
  11. doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    Hey thanks for that link, Toast Machine kicks some major ass!
  12. skyline?
    maybe used?
  13. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I normally don't care much for the sound of a P bass slapped, but you've got a nice chunky sound there.