Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap lessons

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gilbert46, Jan 13, 2005.

1. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Im looking for slap bass lessons, book or dvd, dont care so much. I wanted to consult the al mighty board for advice on a video that will actually help !

2. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Use the search function. These threads are getting old. Especially when everyone asks the same question everyday. Which means to use the search function.

3. Deiph

Deiph

Jan 21, 2004
    So Cal
    I found Ed Friedland's "Slap Bass: The Ultimate Guide" DVD to be very helpful. Apparently others have too (search for "Friedland" in this forum to find some other threads).

You might also want to consider Anthony Vitti's "The Slap Bass Bible" (book/cd). Or better yet, try both!

4. the_kev

the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    England
    try www.gazzbass.com
    he has a free basic slap course on his site
    and he's made lots of DVD's you can buy for some really technical stuff
    just a little warning though - if you don't like mark king then don't bother

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  6. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
  7. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I just got the Friedland DVD and it is very good. It takes you through the basics of slap and pop step by step. Just take your time and practice a few minutes a day and it starts to get easier to play.

Also check out "Funk bass" by Jon Liebman. It has alot of good info on slap as well as a great discography. :bassist:

8. iheartbass

iheartbass

Jan 19, 2005
    california
    Victor Wooten is also really good to learn from, try to get ahold of some of his live performances.

9. jonster

jonster

Nov 12, 2008
    What did you decide? If you picked up my Funk Bass book, let me know if have any questions. I'm happy to help at any time. Thanks!

Jon Liebman