Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap line to "Play That Funky Music Whiteboy"?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Aug 16, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I can't seem to find the slap line for this song. I find the normal, finger-played line, but not the slap/pop line I hear a lot of. If someone could post it or post a link to it that would be much appreciated.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That line is actually a guitar part. :scowl:

If you want to play it anyways, like I do:

G :------------------|
    D :------------------|
    A :----7-5-7----57---|
    E :0-0-------57------|

3. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I know it's the guitar, but the other day my band and I were around Beale Street looking for some places that look interesting to gig at, and some band was playing a cover of "Play That Funky Music White Boy" and the bassist was playing a very funky slap line. That was actually the second band I had seen playing a slap line to PTFMWB. I'm not sure if they just took the guitar riff and slapped it on bass or what, but I was checking to see if there's a totally different tab with a slap bass line.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Make up your own slap line - it's a very simple tune - that's what it's all about - make the song your own!! :)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Any tab based on a slap line wouldn't be based on the actual recording. It would be someone else's interpretation of the song. Plus you'd have no idea what timing they used for note placement.

It's a simple pattern in E minor. You can use the same notes as the original plucked line and embellish on it.

6. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Good idea. I just used the guitar line but moved it onto the third, second, and first strings, so it's played like this:

---------7---5---7------------------------5---7-
    -----------------------5----7----x---------------
    --0--0-------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

7. Tripper

Tripper

Aug 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    So you're playing it in A?

That'd sound pretty weird if the guitarist was still in E...

You know, that song always amazes me for one main reason...it's rare to find a bassist that actually plays the bass part with the right rhythm. They almost all follow the guitar line, which is wrong. The bass isn't as busy.

As for ideas for slapping, like others have said - stay in E minor and use your favorite little slap things and make them fit. It's an easy song to overplay on (for fun) and not sound like you're overplaying too much.

I always throw in a silly little disco slap thing when the lyrics go "I'm funkin' out in every way!", which almost always gets a cheer from the crowd.

I look at it this way - have fun with it. It's a fun song that people like to dance to, and it's worth it to have some fun with it and stray from the line a little. Obviously keep the foundation there, but feel free to have some fun with your own little licks in between the recorded line.

Good luck! :bassist:
    Tripper

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bingo! I'm one of the few people I've heard actually play it like the original. It's basically open E to D- to- E on the A string. Simple. Add A and B on the E string for fills and your on.