Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Me Silly!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Jun 15, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I know, I know, It's been asked a million times, so once more shouldn't hurt.

Any tips on slappin', is the string 'sposed to hit the frets, and "klank"???? any advice is helpful. I think I got the form correct.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I learned to slap the old fasioned way - I screwed around with it till it sounded like the record. When you "pop" the string hits the frets, when you slap (with the thumb).....yeah, I guess it does. the thumb should "bounce" off the strings as quickly as possible....

good luck, and use your ears, they will guide you.

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    The slap sound is not generated by the string hitting the frets, but rather, the actual attack and release. I believe this is right cuz I've slapped basses that had extremly high action and there was no way the string couldve hit the frets (and I managed to achieve a decent slap sound).

Basically, just remember that you should bounce off the string as FAST as possible. As the name implies, just SLAP it :)
    /lovebown

4. Au contrare, Lovebown, I've found that even with basses that have extremely high action (like my Fender did before I learned anything about string spacing, action, and...well, anything, really) whenever I slapped the strings would still hit the frets to give that slap sound. And back then, I was just starting out and my teacher asked me if I'd heard about slap technique etc. and just showed me briefly what it was. We lingered on slap for maybe 2 weeks, during which I managed to get slapping down relatively decently. I wasn't slapping very hard, but the string was still hitting the frets to give that kind of sound.

Otherwise, I find that if you do the slap motion and the string doesn't hit the fret(s), then it sounds more like aggressive fingerstyle.

Then again, that's just what I've found in my short bassing life. :)

5. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    THANX!!!!! that really does help!!!!!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'm with sheepy there. the easiest way to tell the difference is slap on an unfinished fretless - almost all the attack is gone. if the fretboard/frets had nothing to do with the slap sound, it wouldn't change.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And don't hit too hard!

Nice loose wrist and as little force as possible gives you the most speed and endurance for slapping.