1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap muting with palm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iwannalearnbass, Apr 4, 2009.

1. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Hi,

Most books/websites I've read say you should only mute with your left hand (assuming you're right-handed). Is it strictly a no no to mute with your a palm while slapping with your thumb?

2. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I do it. It feels normal to me. It may change the tone a little. The way I see it, there are no rules. I've never read any books on the style, I've only watched you tube lessons. I say, take what the book says into consideration, but don't be afraid to explore. You may stumble on to something nobody else has.

3. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks man. It also feels natural to me as I do it a lot when playing guitar, much more so than left hand muting.

4. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    There are only two wrong techniques:
    1. A technique that causes pain
    2. A technique that sounds bad (in your opinion)

(EDIT: even #1 is not wrong if you're a masochist ;))

5. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    Man, absorb the info in those books, but take it all with a grain of salt. The insight should give you perspective, but not 100% define your views. Go with what feels and sounds good to you. Find your own technique(s) like all the greats did and the next generation of greats do.

6. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    +1. I played guitar before bass so right hand muting makes sense to me. I use both left and right hand muting no matter what technique I use.

7. UnderTone

UnderTone

Mar 22, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    right and left is a great technique to master. i've seen youtube videos of people using both and it sounds really good.

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Gary Willis has possibly the most refined right-hand technique of any bassist, and he recommends that ALL articulation should come from the right (plucking) hand.

But the foremost thing that he recommends, and what everybody should do, is figure out what the most natural and relaxed way is for YOU.

9. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    Depending on how one positions [straps] on a bass, one may also mute with the right forearm on the lowest string.